Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metric -- How many of you use it?

Metric -- How many of you use it?

As most everyone knows, I'm still working on a staircase that has been kicking my butt for more than two months. (I'll be done in two weeks, I'm pretty sure.)

Yes, I'm a n00b. But I'm very happy with my results so far. So is LOML. I run with the slogan, "Perfect is good enough."

Lately, I've been measuring in centimeters and millimeters because it is significantly easier. I'm quite sick of subtracting sixteenths from quarters. It is a ridiculous system.

My work has become much more precise since using the "metric" side of my tapes and straightedges. I've always been good with celsius degrees, liters and kilograms. But I've clung my whole life to inches and feet. No longer. I can't stand thinking of "1 and 1/8 plus a bit less than a 16th"

So my question is:

How many of y'all "educated in the USA" woodworkers have ditched inches for centimeters?

Is there a down side that I haven't considered?
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I haven't gone to metric, and its not likely that I will. Mostly it's because I use very few numeric measurements of any kind because they are too imprecise for good furniture making. Traditional practice uses marking gauges, story sticks, and graphic layout devises (compass and ruler) just to avoid measurements. With modern machinery, making cuts with the same machine settings for all similar parts, keeps the parts of equal size and thickness. It's much more important that parts match each other, and not important whether a table is 32" (81 centimeters) high or 31 1/2 (80 cm). Dimensional accuracy is important only in production situations, but I'm not doing that. Sure you can fit mortises and tenons numerically with tolerances of say .02 mm, or .001", but if the joint is fitted so that the tenon slides into the mortise only with firm hand pressure will give you just as accurate joints.

As Steve said, avoiding measurements is a good thing and a good way to avoid errors. But when I do measure, I'll often use metric. One huge advantage is that instead of 1", I'll think in terms of 24 mm, which means that you can divide things by 2, 3, 4, and 6 very easily.

As with Steve and Wilbur, I try to avoid "measuring", but when I do I use the fractional method only because after 60 years, it is just too difficult to change. No doubt, metric makes more sense and is easier. Were I younger, and had 50 -60 years ahead of me, I would devote the effort to switch.

Eric, doing a stairway is a "measured task", and I can certainly see the advantages of the metric system in what you are doing.

Actually, instead of fractional or metric, I have clung to the "just a hair, scosh, smidge, etc. method." Seems to have worked so far, but communicating the needed length to others can be a challenge!!

Blog Entries
    I agree with John..... and I'm too old to switch.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have considered it

I have considered changing, but I still use a lot of plans for what I do. All of them use the english system and the effort to convert everything is too overwhelming.

I use metric sometimes, but I generally fall back to english.

I use metric measurement all the time. When I need more accuracy, however, I return to standard and use my caliipers to measure to .001".
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Metric - if I work alone. Standard - if I work with others. I would like to mention that "metric" is the system that everyone in this country uses when it comes to money. 10 cents to a dime, 10 dimes to a dollar.
    Every electrician knows what 0.3 Volts means.
    I am not trying to say that "metric" is better. My digital caliper can be configured to display metric or standard measurements and I use this this function often.
    I do wait for the day when Incra's LS Positioner will be available in "metric".
    (Yes, I know it will take some time)

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    I have considered changing, but I still use a lot of plans for what I do. All of them use the english system and the effort to convert everything is too overwhelming.

I use metric sometimes, but I generally fall back to english.
    Same here, if I didn't use plans I might try metric if I built something from scratch. Only problems is I can picture what 1 foot is I have a hard time seeing the equivalent in a metric number.

I've worked with all Euro manufactured machinery for almost a decade. Honestly it's second nature for me from fastener sizes, thread pitches, phisical dimensions etc. All our metal working machinery DRO's are set up in millimeters and our measuring equip is all metric too (calipers, inside n outside mic's).
    +1 for what Steve said.
    I too measure very little of anything for furniture building, but what few things I do measure I measure with metric increments. Gauges and story sticks go a long ways for repetitive accuracy.

Greg

Well Eric, I wasn't educated in the US, I'm Canadian.

Canada has been metric since the 70's, however many non technical people probably don't use the metric system for measurements outside of litres, kilograms, and kilometres for driving distances.

I switched to the metric system in the workshop when I made some cabinets based on the 32mm system. After that, as you said, it's far easier to add 765mm + 21.5mm than it is to add 28 1/64" + 7 3/4".

My Hammer A3-31 was ordered with the digital planer gauge in mm. One revolution of the handle changes the planer height by 2mm.

My tablesaw has an Imperial/Metric tape, my digital calipers change indication at the touch of a button. I've also purchased metric rules and tape measures.

Of course if you deal with sheet goods, using the metric system is advantageous as well.

I always joke with people that the two great superpowers (USA and Botswana) are the only remaining contries using the Imperial system.

NOTE: The above comment is meant to be humourous, don't take offence at it.

I have to admit that I would have guessed that the US would have adopted the metric system after the Revolutionary war, I'm always amazed that you broke your ties with the British, yet kept their measurement system.

(Yes I know that you didn't update the system when they introduced the Imperial System in 1824, resulting in some present differences in units).

regards, Rod.

I use them both. I'm lucky enough that I don't have trouble with adding fractions or converting back and forth from metric to standard. But I do it on a daily basis so it's something you get used to with time. I also have a much easier time walking into a room and guesstimating it's size in feet. If I had to guess in meters I'd have to think feet first and do a very rough conversion in my head.
    good luck,
    JeffD

IMO, that's the biggest impediment

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    .... Only problems is I can picture what 1 foot is I have a hard time seeing the equivalent in a metric number.
    to the adoption of metric. Everybody knows by sight a #8 screw or a 5/16" bolt or whatever. 8mm, 3cm etc. are less intuitive. Anybody who works on modern cars gets some exposure to metric, but that may not translate to the scale used in woodworking.

Curt

Blog Entries
    I'll use either when not using a story stick or reference piece. In order of preference I guess it would be fractional to get started, story stick or actual piece to proceed and metric if handy.

Most production cabinet shops went metric long ago. Its just so much easier to know that 17.7mm comes after 17.6mm as opposed to 31/32nds follows 123/128ths. . . not that I usually measure in 128ths ;-) Just an example.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use decimal inches. I get the primary benefit of the metric system -- decimals -- but without having to translate from English units.