Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Festool square cuts; I love my Festool MFT table…BUT…

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    That is quite dissapointing to hear, Daniel and frankly I am quite surprised. What have folks at the FOG been saying about this? Do you visit there? I don't since I hate Yahoo! formats. I figured even it was upgradeable, it would be nearly cost-prohibitive like most of Festool's stuff but I would probably have done it anyway. I guess I'll just keep puttering along with my "vintage" 1080 MFT!
    Not sure, I've never visited that forum.

I'm also getting fed up with Festool's price fixing in the United States, which is illegal in the US - which is one reason why their products are cost prohibitive - that, and this german firms over inflated ego that their MFT system and tools function better than a table saw or all other power tools, and that they feel that they are gods greatest gift to humankind in the area of power tools, which creates a belief within their firm that because of this, they should be exempt from price fixing laws in countries that they sell in. I am also very surprised that state attorney generals or even the feds have not filed suits against Festool USA for these illegal practices, especially with all the white collar crime going on lately with corporate corruption. Maybe it's just a matter of time though.

It's almost like the managment at Festool in Germany believes that they are doing americans a favor by selling their products to us, that we should be greateful that we are allowed to buy their products and shoud kiss their feet and thank them for selling us their price fixed products.

Every festool dealer I have ever contacted, and on google shopping, each same item festoool product sells for the exact same price, except on a rare occasion, when festool corporation comes out with measly sale prices for some items, which again are all the same exact mark downs from each dealer. All dealer pricing is not off even by one penny. Festool's blatant price fixing is obvious and I personally find it obscene and offensive; it flies in the face what this country is based upon, a free market.
    Last edited by Daniel Hillmer; 10-16-2008 at 2:47 PM.

That is quite dissapointing to hear, Daniel and frankly I am quite surprised. What have folks at the FOG been saying about this? Do you visit there? I don't since I hate Yahoo! formats. I figured even it was upgradeable, it would be nearly cost-prohibitive like most of Festool's stuff but I would probably have done it anyway. I guess I'll just keep puttering along with my "vintage" 1080 MFT!

I was told the fence could be used on both, but not everything. Might be a good question for Uncle Bob.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hillmer View Post
    Thanks Bruce. Does anyone know if Dino @ EZ Smart have any dealers in Michigan, where I could actually go and see one in operation or try it out myself? It's hard to make a decision without seeing one up close.
    Daniel, I would recommend either visiting the EZ Smart forum here on SMC and asking these questions or giving Eurekazone a call. Both places are extremely helpful and there may be a current EZ owner in your area to help you out. I don't believe there are any other EZ Smart Dealers other than with Dino in Edison, NJ. or in the U.K.

I understand about the decision to buy something without actually getting to see it first hand. Hopefully you can get in contact with someone near you. If not, there are a lot of Youtube videos and photos available. You could always start with just the basic setup and see how you like it too. Dino has the best return policy I've ever heard of so no worries there either. You really should try my suggestions in the first paragraph and see where you get with that.

Bruce

...What have folks at the FOG been saying about this? Do you visit there? I don't since I hate Yahoo! formats.
    Ummm - The FOG has not been a Yahoo forum for close to two years.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Ummm - The FOG has not been a Yahoo forum for close to two years.
    LOL! Obviously I have not visited in quite a long time, Dave!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

BTW, do you have a link to the above described method in the Festool owners group?
    Daniel, I've sent you a PM.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Thanks so much Rob for the info. A couple of concerns, in the above link you provided, I checked it out and on this page - http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sq-3.htm where he describes the easy method for making parallel cuts with the two steel rules and rafter stops, it looks good, but from the photos there I don’t see how she is making the two rules paralell to each other, in order to assure the saw guide rail is parallel to the other edge of material – how is that accomplished?

My other concern with using a perfectly square piece of plywood to square the rail to the fence, is the stability of the material. As it gets moist the squareness can go off a bit and affect squareness.

Also, you said above “Here's a related tip” – did you intend to post a link for the tip? I also read David’s tip about the pin, but it’s not exactly clear to me how to prevent the slop by applying some lateral tension in order to have the rail fit into the tab, can u or someone elaborate on that a bit more?
    Daniel,
    I can't really speak to the approach used in that link you provided from John's site since I haven't gone through it.

As far as I can tell my piece of 3/4" baltic birch ply remains dimensionally stable even with some swings in humidity in my shop. Another option mentioned by Dave (and the link I provided) is that thick steel square from ENCO which I also found is no longer available from them. I got one a few years ago and like it, but find the piece of ply even better.

I don't have a link to my "related tip" but I'll try to explain further. With the rail lowered onto the table and resting on the tab, note that there is some lateral play. By that I mean that even with the tab engaged, you can wiggle the rail slightly because the tab is a bit smaller than the groove it sits in. As Dave mentioned, you can just keep some lateral pressure on the rail while sawing and make sure it stays against one side. You can also adjust the placement of the receiving end of the rail so that you need to apply a bit of lateral tension to get the rail to engage the tab. If that is the case then it tends to stay against the tab and this eliminates the play. You just have to fiddle with it and you'll see.

Do check out the Festool Owners Group, there is much good info there on technique.

--Rob