Thread: Mini Max S45 Bandsaw

Mini Max S45 Bandsaw

I've heard a lot of talk about the MM16 bandsaw, but not much on the S45. I saw an add for a used S45 that the guys is asking $600. Here is what the add says "20'' Mini-Max S45 band saw. 2.5 HP, 12'' Resaw, 1'' Blade capacity, Wired for 230v. This saw retails new for over $1800." He has xtra blades and replaced the original starter with a 2 pole toggle switch.

What do you think? Are these wheels cast Iron or aluminum? What would this saw be comparable to?

Thanks,
    John

Start here, John:

http://www.minimax-usa.com/bandsaws.html

This will answer a few of your questions. However, while I don't question that a 14" bandsaw could take a 1" blade, I question how long that blade will last going around such a tight radius as a 14" diameter wheel provides.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-18-2004 at 12:16 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

John, the S45 is a nice saw and made by Minimax. The MM series of saws is made by Centauro and the new S14 and S16 are made by Meber (IIRC). The S45 has an 18" throat and is a lighter weight bandsaw than the MM series but a bit better kit than the S14 and S16 - sort of like the Asian 18" bandsaws but better built. The price is good but I would replace the toggle switch (is it HP rated?) with a mag switch (call Minimax for a replacement).

Hey John,

I purchased a S45 ~12 yrs ago. It was a great bandsaw, my first intro to MiniMax. I had upgraded from a Delta 14" BS. No comparison, ran smooth and quiet with lots of power. I sold it and all of my other stationary tools about 5 yrs ago. When I recently started back in woodworking again I went with a MM 16 BS along with a MM 300S combo machine...all because of the experience I had with that S45 BS!!
    Jim