Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 16" Bandsaw - Opinions?

Jet 16" Bandsaw - Opinions?

My local Rocklers has what looks like a fairly good deal on the Jet 16" bandsaw - $799.00 with caster set.

Does anybody have or have they used this saw?

How does it compare to some of the others on the market? I know it's about a thousand dollars less than the Laguna LT-16, so presumably it'd be an 'apples-to-oranges' comparison, but even so, the Jet looks to be a pretty well-made saw.

Help me spend my money well...

Jim,

It doesn't really help you but FWW has an issue on the stands right now in which they go through about 10-12 brands of 18" bandsaws. It might be worth a flip through to see how the 18s faired against one another. The Jet 18" was included.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Jim,

It doesn't really help you but FWW has an issue on the stands right now in which they go through about 10-12 brands of 18" bandsaws. It might be worth a flip through to see how the 18s faired against one another. The Jet 18" was included.
    I read the artical and I don't think the 18" Jet did that well. They did like the Grizzly as I recall.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, the Griz came out all right...top choice was Bridgewood...Jet was kinda dragged through the dirt a bit. Laguna did all right IIRC. It is worth a gander.

They had Griz, Lobo, Laguna, Bridgewood, Woodtek, Jet, Agazzani, Delta and others I can't quite recall right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    They had Griz, Lobo, Laguna, Bridgewood, Woodtek, Jet, Agazzani, Delta and others I can't quite recall right now.
    I'm just impressed that you could spell Agazzani!

I was trying to do a google on them a few weeks ago and butchered the hell out of that name!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The Jet was on my list. I chose the Grizzly G0513. A side-by-side comparison of the two (after I purchased it) showed little obvious difference to me in perceived quality or construction (read beefiness).
    IMHO, the Jet is a little short on the feature list in this comparison. Less resaw, less HP, pay-extra for fence.
    The Jet is still a nice machine. As I said, my perception of the two saws was that they were very similar.
    I strongly recommend the Grizzly as it is a very nice saw. My caveat is that it is Grizzly and you may have to deal with some Customer Service calls before you get it running right. It seems to me that Jet has better quality control on delivered products. I did have to deal with customer service on my saw, but it was excellent (once I talked to Bill C.).

I don't see a better bang for the buck around than the Grizzly.

Jay St. Peter

BTW - The FWW comparison is probably very valid as I believe the Jet 16 and 18 are very closely related. That is, same design, same factory floor (same motor?). The Grizzly they reviewed was from Grizzlys heavier duty line than the G0513. So, not valid there.
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 05-18-2004 at 7:17 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    I'm just impressed that you could spell Agazzani!

I was trying to do a google on them a few weeks ago and butchered the hell out of that name!
    Well, I've been drooling over Agazzani, MiniMax, Laguna, and Walker-Turner for several weeks now...I know where to find the info! I guess I'm done drooling...time to work and learn!

I've used the Jet 16 and it is definately under powered. I'd opt for the Delta 18 it has 12 inches of resaw a 2hp motor and cast iron wheels for about 1200 dollars. Laguna also has the 14se might be worth looking at too. It has about the same resaw as the Jet but more power. You just have to see how much it is with shipping. My buddy has the Delta and I think you would be happy with it. I spoke with the Delta Rep and he said it was built to be better than the Jet in every way and somewhere in the middle of the Jet and the Laguna 16".

Jim, I've got one of them (also from Rockler). I've been happy with it. I have not noticed a power issue.

From my perspective the 17" Grizzley is a better 'deal' for the reasons Jay cited. I just didn't want to deal with having it delivered (getting it off the truck etc...)

I own the Jet 16 and it works fine for me...I don't recommend putting any band saw on a mobile base, it just makes them unsteady. I put mine next to the wall anyway and it doesn't take up much room. The Euro guides that come on the 16 are ok, I haven't had any problems with them, I have, however had to replace several sets of the roller bearing guides used on the Jet 18 and 20 saws.

I own the 16" Jet Bandsaw. It's a nice saw, and has a lot of good features. I went to the Grizzly showroom and looked at the Grizzly G5013, but they were on backorder. I recommend you make the effort to see what you buy; kick the tires so to speak.

The Jet has cast iron wheels, the Grizzly 17 has aluminum. I just recently heard the Grizzly 18" has cast iron, and possibly some other difference.

The 16" Jet has a smaller motor than the 18" Jet, although you wouldn't know it from the advertised specifications. The 18" also has a larger frame.

I haven't used my saw a lot, so I can't tell you how well it works for serious resawing. It is a smooth running machine, and is well constructed. I especially like the solid feel of the gear assembly that raises and lowers the blade guide. The 16" version has European style blade guides, and they work fine. However, the lower blade guides are hard to reach; not a problem until you want to change blade size; it's easier to remove the table for this. The Jet fence is also an option on the 16" saw; it's okay for $80, but not the best.

Hope this helps you decide. I understand the new PowerMatic 14" saw is pretty nice too.
    Last edited by Don Stanley; 05-18-2004 at 11:45 PM.

I have the Jet 18" BS, if thats any help.

Jim,

I have the Jet 18", if that is any help to you. It is very similar in construction and base features.

I was in the process of saving up for a MM16, but couldn't pass up this deal. I got my Jet 18" Bandsaw when Woodworker's Warehouse was going out of business.

I'm pretty happy with it's performance so far. I can resaw cherry that would have had my old 1 HP 14" Jet bandsaw stalling. I am very happy with the increased table size, as well as the blade guide set up. The height adjustment and blade tension mechanism work very smoothly. The fence is alright, and can be adjusted for blade drift to a moderate degree. I made a taller slip on fence that really works great when re-sawing.

However, I really wish that they had come up with an easier way to adjust the lower guides! You have to tilt the table just to get at them, and it is not an exact science.

Also, the lower wheel cabinet needs a separate dust collection port in the corner to take care of the dust that accumulates there. The 4" dust port on the upper portion of the wheel cabinet, just below the lower guides, doesn't do a good enough job. Since I'm a machine designer by trade, I look at these design flaws with a very critical eye.

But bearing all this in mind, I am really still very happy with the bandsaw. For the money, it was worth it.

BTW, I use an HTC universal base on mine. Even though the BS weighs about 325 lbs, I can move it around with one hand.
    Dominic Greco

Don,

When I got my G0513, I had just gotten back from a WW show where I pawed the Laguna, MM, and Bridgewood saws. I thought my wheels on my saw were downright spindly. But, when compared head-to-head vs. the Jet 16", they were very similar. The bearings and wheels on those high-end saws are no comparison, huge. If the Jet 16" wheels are cast iron, I guess there may be some advantage over the Al wheels. But, they just aren't very beefy. The advantage of cast-iron as I understand it is more rotating mass for less vibration and resistance to slowing down. I can't imagine the Jet wheels offer very much advantage in mass. It has been a year and half, but the biggest difference I remember was that the Jet had a beefier cast-iron trunnion (though I could be confused with the 18"). The steel one on the Grizzly is acceptable though. The paint on the Jet was also significantly better than the Grizzly.

Wilke sells a version of the 17" saw that has some nice beefy looking cast iron wheels. It jumps a little in price to just under $1K. It also has nicer looking bearing guides. (General International also sells this variant for a similar price.) Much like Laguna, actual price on stuff from Wilke depends on which side of the country you live. For me on the east coast, Wilke reasonable, Laguna outrageous.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Re: Mobile bases on a bandsaw. I agree that the "lever" type bases are a little unsteady with a topheavy bandsaw (although only when up). But, the bases where you lock the wheels (i.e. shopfox, HTC custom) are pretty darn steady. For those of us who don't have the space to fix any tools in place, they work real well. I detect no instability with the shopfox base under my bandsaw.

Be aware that you may have to put a piece of plywood or something in the base before the tool or you may not be able to open the bottom door all the way.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I also have the Jet 16". I have not found it to be underpowered but that may be due to frame of reference. I've never worked with any of the larger bandsaws. I've done some resawing with it and it is fine. I suppose a 2 or 3 horse machine would be better but I don't have the required number of electrons availble for a bigger one.

All I can say is I'm glad I got this over any of the 14" saws.