Thread: My new tool rack - Love at first sight

Blog Entries

My new tool rack - Love at first sight

I got a whole lot of extra shop time this weekend and I made use of every little bit of it. I got so far ahead on my current project, I was able to catchup on shop projects.

Here's my window hung tool rack and the start of my twin screw face vise. The vise needs more work, but the tool rack is almost done.

And I already love it. It puts so many of my often used tools right at arms reach.

I still need to add more shaker pegs (since I ran out of them). And need to make a chisel rack since chisels don't hang well. I'm also going to add a higher rack for hand saws and such.

It's 8-feet long, made similar to Chris Schwarz's (Workbenches book) and Bob Lang's (WW mag - Holtzappfel one). 2 strips of 3/4" plywood set off by 1/2" spacers. Shaker pegs 4" o.c. and mini shaker pegs in between those.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I know I love it at first sight. I am revamping my shop, and I think I will build a similar rack.

One question -- is there a particular reason for the mini-pegs (versus regular size)?

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I know I love it at first sight. I am revamping my shop, and I think I will build a similar rack.

One question -- is there a particular reason for the mini-pegs (versus regular size)?

Cheers,

Chris
    I have a mini between each regular. At first I wasn't sure about it, but went ahead with it anyways.

They turn out to be real useful, as alot of tools couldn't span the 4" between the regulars, but can span the 2" between a regular and mini. But a mini between two regulars does not prohibit a wider tool from using the 4" gap, like the eggbeater drill does in the pic.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Here's mine. I've had it about three years now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charlie Mastro
    Mastro Woodworking & Design
    Joseph, OR

I'd be jealous of your tool rack, except that I'm way more jealous of the big window you have right by your workbench.

hey you still have leaves on your trees, i to am jealous of the window

Blog Entries
    I am wondering if you will have condensation problems during the colder months.

Is the shop heated?

Are the windows double pane?

jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I am wondering if you will have condensation problems during the colder months.

Is the shop heated?

Are the windows double pane?

jim

I'm not sure about condensation, I'll look out for it though. My shop is not heated and the window is single pane. But it's also a north facing window, if that matters.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy, I like the concept, and may need to make one for myself. Can you post a couple more pics of it a little closer up?

Thanks!

DAve

Nice job on the rack, Randy. I too like the one I use--except it has "grwon" too small over the years.

Charlie, I have loved your type since I first saw it. Very nice and clean. Ample room for expansion. Might have to rip-off your idea one of these days.

Take care, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Randy, I like the concept, and may need to make one for myself. Can you post a couple more pics of it a little closer up?

Thanks!

DAve
    Sure no problem.

Here's a closeup of shaker peg holes I drilled. Note that they are not centered with each other in the middle, but designed so that the tops of the holes are linear.
    IMG_5236.jpg

This pic shows the 1/2" MDF spacer that is glued and brad nailed between the two 3/4" plywood strips (4" wide, 8' long). I have a spacer every foot.
    IMG_5239.jpg

Except for these two spacers that are screwed through and into the stud with #10 3" screws. This seems to be strong enough so far.
    IMG_5240.jpg

Here's some shots of tool holding capabilities:

Why those mini's are a good thing for tools that span 2"
    IMG_5237.jpg

But why you also need a 4" span
    IMG_5238.jpg

But most tools fit in that 1/2" space. Except for bench chisels, they get all tippy. I'm still working on a special rack for those.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy,

I started looking at the tool rack, but couldn't keep my eyes from drifting to the bench...that's a beauty, and it's llllllooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg!

I have been planning to build a tool rack across a window in from of my bench, just haven't done it yet, like a ton of other projects...

I do like the idea of tools having placing within reaching distance.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Randy,

I started looking at the tool rack, but couldn't keep my eyes from drifting to the bench...that's a beauty, and it's llllllooooooonnnnnnnnngggggg!
    Thanks. I haven't reported on the bench yet because I've been waiting to finish the face vise, which should be soon. But it's a 10 footer, built in the Roubo-Schwarz style.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K Wenzloff View Post
    Charlie, I have loved your type since I first saw it. Very nice and clean. Ample room for expansion. Might have to rip-off your idea one of these days.
    Take care, Mike
    Feel free to rip...........
    Charlie Mastro
    Mastro Woodworking & Design
    Joseph, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    I do like the idea of tools having placing within reaching distance.
    What he said! I saw the tool rack I think....? Nah just the bench.
    Having what's needed at arms length is very nice.

Greg