Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking anodized aluminum on a Legend 36EXT-60W

Marking anodized aluminum on a Legend 36EXT-60W

Ok guys...here's my problem. I have a big order of anodized aluminum plaques, which needs to have a company name engraved on them. I've tried so many different settings (including the ones suggested by Epilog), but none of them turned out well. Can somebody tell me (preferably someone with the same machine - Epilog Legend 36EXt - 60W), step by step, what should I do to obtain satisfying results.
    I read from different sources about how to mix the Cermark marking material with the denatured alcohol, and even regarding that seems to be different opinions (not to mention the dpi, power and speed settings). I feel completely lost. What dpi settings should I use for simple text engraving?
    So again... if somebody has a brilliant advise for me, feel free to answer back. Any help would be much appreciated.
    My tools are:
    - Epilog Legend 36EXT 60W
    - Corel X4
    - Adobe CS3
    - Cermark LMM 6038 marking material

Robert, I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. Your message mentions anodized aluminum but then you mention Cermark. Are you applying Cermark to anodized aluminum? And if so, why? Anodized aluminum doesn't require anything else, just engrave it.

Steve
    Epilog Legend EX24, Corel X3

Anodized Alum

Why are you using Cermark on anodized alum?

Can you just laser the anodizing?

I would expect Cermark over anodizing to just come off with the anodizing when hit with the laser.

What are the problems exactly

If you could, be a little more specific on what the "but none of them turned out well" actually means. Are they not clear, are they banding, are they not engraving into the aluminum, etc....

And if you are using CerMark on anodized aluminum there could be your problem there, unless you are removing the anodizing then putting on the CerMark, but why?

More detail may help get better answers.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Just some information for everyone.

Cermark has or Had a solution for clear anodized. We actually tested it and it was hit and miss most of the time. I believe they worked on it and might sell something for clear anodize.

This may be what Robert is working with.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Robert,

If you want to give me a call tomorrow I may be able to help you with this issue. I have the same exact laser and we laser both anodized and hard coat anodized aluminum. We have also used cermark.
    Call me at 8163316093 - I am in central standard time but get up early.

Jerry

All!

I have mared clear anidized aluminum many times using CerMark.
    I have never had a problem with it but it thoes need thicker coat of CerMark than stainless steel.
    With my ULS-400 40Watt I use 100P 25S 500DPI and it works great.

I have a Epilog Legend 36EXT 60-Watt

Hi Robert,

As well I am a little confused regarding your post about anodized aluminum and using Cermark. If you are talking about regular colored anodized aluminum, then you do not need to use Cermark. After lasering, you should end up with a nice bright white mark.

I have actually experimented with Cermark and anodized aluminum. I first laser the design I wanted, then sprayed Cermark on the piece and lasered the same design again and it produced a nice black image. The important thing was that I had to laser first without Cermark, then laser again with Cermark because otherwise, the Cermark would not really stick.

I too have the same model and wattage as your machine and laser engrave anodized aluminum all the time without any problems.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

If you're trying to make a black mark on anodized aluminum I would use Alumamark.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks everybody for all these useful information. After reading all of you's posts and talking to Jerry on the phone, I got to the results I was expecting.
    On my machine Legend 36EXT - 60W, I used S12, P100, 600 dpi to engrave the aluminum using Cermark.

Speed of 12? DPI of 600. I hope you weren't in a hurry!

Man that's a ton of heat with a 60W.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm with Steve McKee. Why are you using cermark on anodised aluminium, it doesn't need it! You just engrave without. I have a 45w Epilog and that is considerably less power than yours, I used 100 speed with 70 power, Lord only knows why you are doing it the way you are.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I used 100 speed with 70 power, Lord only knows why you are doing it the way you are.
    Frank, how do you get black mark on clear anodised aluminum without CerMark?
    To mark black, red, blue or any other colored aluminum there is no need for Cermark but clear one (natural looking AL) I can mark only with cermark or by deep engraving with rotary engraver and oxidize.

I think the point most of us in this thread missed is that it's not color anodized, it's clear.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Frank, how do you get black mark on clear anodised aluminum without CerMark
    You can re-color anodized aluminum. It requires some care with the power to just boil off the existing color trapped in the Hydrate with out mushing the aluminum Hydrate structure.

When you get the right power to do that you can laser the part and dip it into warm Rit dye solution for about 5 minutes and then boil the part in distilled water for 10-20 minutes to re-seal the Hydrate pores.

It is worth messing with until you get it right and you can get some pretty spectacular art with multiple colors.

Dave