Thread: SharkGuard: 4" or 2.5" dust port?

SharkGuard: 4" or 2.5" dust port?

I'm about to make the plunge on a SharkGuard (even with the wait!) and have been wondering what folks experience has been with the sizing of the dust port. The only comment I found while searching SMC was concern that the 4" would suckup small cutoffs (no one confirmed this IIRC)

I'll be running a 6" branch and will be making my own dust hood for my TS leaving me with any size I choose, however I use ZCI almost exclusively so a good chunk of the dust current ends above the table. I've been considering going with either a 5" hood with 2.5" SG or 4" to both the hood and SG.

Any experience with the sizing on the SG and thoughts on my options are welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Unless production capacity has improved, expect waiting along time for your shark guard. He currently has an eight week wait and states that could be longer. That being said, I do like the guard and splitter. Go with the four inch port; you can always use a reducer if your worried about cutoffs. It has not been a concern for me.

go with the 4 inch

I have the Sharkguard with the 4 inch port but I have a blast gate on the hose going too it. I like having the option of using more suction if needed.

Ian

Blog Entries
    My current hood is 2-1/2", not enough. Oh, how I wish it were 4". Go 4", ask an owner ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I actually owned both. I currently have the 4". My saw needs to be mobile. If your saw were stationary I would suggest the 4" w/a gate. For my shop I actually liked the 2-1/2" better because the hose has more flex and doesn't tend to tip the Shark if it's not in the right place. Also, for thin cut-offs the 4" did try to suck them up a few times before I added the gate to tame it down.

Either way - best TS accessory I ever bought & worth the wait.

Mike

May be dependent on the "suck" of your DC. I have a 2 1/2" (4" hadn't come out yet when I bought it) and it didn't do a great job with my old DC. Since I upgraded to a cyclone, the smaller size works great. Leaves virtually nothing on the table. my conclusion is the 2 1/2" can work just fine with the right DC, but if in doubt, get the 4".

I have the 4" version (version 8.0 IIRC?)... I love the hell out of it. As mentioned a couple times put a blast gate just upstream and use it as a throttle valve if necessary.
    Literally nearly dust free. I was going to make a custom swing arm for mounting it but found the temporary installation hanging the flex hose from the main line with a bungee cord to be a bit more than "temporary".
    The wait is long, so the sooner you order the sooner you can start buggin Lee about "when will I get my guard".

Greg

Thanks for all the feedback and experience with both units. Good to know about throttling the 4" if need be.

There's 10 weeks and two days left before Christmas so maybe, just maybe, I can have mine ready for whatever project I'll come up with to test out any new toys I might get.

Before I made my ZCI I put a screen over the lower dust hood to capture cut-offs. I imagine you could do the same with the 4" guard. That way you don't have to throttle back. Get that dust!

Burt

4" Shark Guard

Burt beat me to it. Get the 4" and use a screen. I've got a 2 HP Super Gorilla Oneida and even with a ZCI I get little to no sawdust on the table. A long wait, but worth it.

As you can see, many opinions for different reasons (portability, suction verses collector, etc).

I had one (loaned to a neighbor for his (same) saw, and he liked it so much he refused to give it back (no internet access) and asked me how much did he owe me), I declined since I have gone more to the EZ system (suits my needs). Our shops are both small (comparable basements) although his is only one corner (10x10' square). No room for a full size dust collector and works well with a shop vac. Now I wonder how the 4" would work with a reducer and a shop vac?