Thread: Storing lumber vertically??

Storing lumber vertically??

what are your thoughts on it

Stupid,

only do it in a pinch,

or does it work well if ceiling height accomodates it?

I've been storing my lumber vertically for quite some time now and it has worked perfectly. It allows me more storage in less space, separating species and selecting individual boards are a lot easier. I've never had any ill effects on the wood and I typically have around 400+ bf (cherry, hard maple, poplar, white and red oak, some hickory and ash, a little walnut, sassafras, Kentucky coffee, and mulberry) all stored in an area 2' x 6'.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

David marks does it.

I am pretty pressed for space, and I store mine vertically, even my ply. Now I do admit I'm headstrong for making it vertical and not at a 45 degree angle or such. No problems as of yet anyways.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

As long as the wood is dry, you should have no problem stacking vertically. David Marks, Sam Maloof, Lon Schleining, and a number of well known professional woodworkers stack vertically as do Woodcraft stores, etc. It is much simpler to make and easier (and safer) to load, stack, sort, examine, and remove individual boards if stacked vertically. The floor supports the weight of the wood not shelf standards which can bend, break, or pull off the wall. You are only limited by ceiling height and this is for dry lumber only.

I went from this:

To this (I added safety chains since this pic was taken):

Notice how Alans pics show the wood resting on it's edges not the faces. I would think this would be the best method for verticle storage, rather than having the faces against the wall. No real experience though, all my wood is horizontal, but it is a pain to dig through.

Blog Entries
    My lumber yard stores it vertically and on edge.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

With proper support and enough head-room, it's a wonderful way to store lumber. I'd do it in a second if I could!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

we dried several thousand Bf of cedar vertically
    it looked like a native American village with all the tepees in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With proper support and enough head-room, it's a wonderful way to store lumber. I'd do it in a second if I could!
    What type of support is needed to store it vertically? One end sits on the floor the other end is up against the wall, probably at a slight angle, do you need more support in the middle?

I have wanted to store it vertically but I have been cautious because of the support thing. Thanks for any info.

You don't need any support in the middle. The key is to keep it totally vertical - not leaning at an angle. That would set a bow in the lumber. I'm sure you could add another "divider" in the middle if you wanted, but it's really not necessary.

I have a similar set up as the one pictured above, with "pockets" about 14-16" wide. It's by far the best method in terms of taking out the board you want without having to move a bunch of other ones.