Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Nearing Completion

Kitchen Nearing Completion

Hi All,

Well, this is my first effort at posting pics so I hope it goes well. Over the past several months, I've been involved with a major kitchen remodel. But as I'm sure many realize, there was significant "scope creep" on the project. We aren't completely done (you'll notice the absence of a range hood) but I was eager for some feedback.

First of all, I used IKEA kitchen cabinets. For those of you who aren't familar with the company, it is a large international homefurnishing retailer which specializes in "knock down" furniture. They have stores on the East coast, I think in California and Chichago, Alas, none in Florida where we live so we had to pay to have the stuff shipped down. Even with the shipping charges, the cabinets were VERY affordable. But then again, there was some "sweat equity" involved in that I had to assemble the cabinets before installing them.

With my skill set and relatively small "shop" ie. the garage I don't know how I could have completed the project in any reasonable time period, and my wife was, after much planning and project start delays, eager for it to be done as quickly as possible. As it was, it took 3 months but that included tearing up the floor and installing new marble tiles (not me) throughout the entire center part of the house.

So here is the "before"

And here is the "after"

Don't know if you would call this "woodworking" or assembly, but I used alot of my tools and had a ball. Built the soffits, did all the trim, got to use my SCMS, and created the island out of several cabinets, door fronts etc. Located the end grain butcher block on the internet.

I won't bore you further unless you would like details, let me know.

Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jay, it looks REALLY nice! Gotta love that granite backsplash! WOW!

I've been in a lot of kichens that weren't a nice as your before shot!
    Thanks for posting!

Looks good. The work on the walls is particularly interesting. BTW, how do you like that fridge? We bought one a couple months ago when Sears was having a "0 interest for a year" sale.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Jay,

That is spectacular and I concur with Todd's thoughts on the granite backsplash...just LOVE that natural edge! Everything works in that space...terrific color choices. The soffits are a really good idea...mates the ceiling with the kitchen walls/cabinets nicely.

Now before your head can't fit through the doorway, I spy a rectangular and circular hole...missing a vent and light can or ??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice Jay very nice.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Yalza! Great job! That "natural edge" backsplash is absolutely wonderful, Jay. The whole project looks like it's come together into a super kitchen space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jay,

I hate all these kitchen remodeling posts! Every time I see one it makes me feel guilty because I haven’t done ours yet.

It turned out very nice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Oh so nice!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Nice job!! I know the pain you are going through, i just finished my kitchen remodel. I love that uncut edge on the granite. It gives it a real unique appearance.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Jay,

I like it, especially the granite backsplash. Good eye for design.

Bob
    bob m

Jay, really like the design aspects. The granite against the black tops, light wood cabinets and stainless hardware and appliances. Those stainless bar pulls are some of my favorite. I'm curious, did you lose any cabinet space, or is it about the same?

Thanks for all the kind comments! I'll try to answer the questions in a short post.
    Dan, We love the new fridge, especially the pull out freezer and the wide frige section that results
    Chris, yes I have to finish putting up the exhaust fan, will send another pic when it it complete.
    Earl. We didn't do an "exact" match but we seem to have all of our stuff back in the new kitchen, The tall glass fronted "armoire" cabinet on the left has a lot of space, and the cabinets are taller than our old ones.

Great job Jay. I agree with everyone else, the backsplash really makes this remodeling sing. Nice job.

Jay you did an outstanding job. Like everyone else, I'm wowwed by the backsplash and I love the butcher block too. The cabinets look terrific. I never would have guessed they were knock-down units.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Very well done. Looks great.