Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unreal, 3rd Vintage Gloat

Unreal, 3rd Vintage Gloat

About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to outfit my shop with vintage machines. I like to research things, so I spent months deciding what I wanted. I ended up with a 1942 Parks Planer that took me a year to rebuild, a 1948 Delta 14" band saw, and a 1956 9" DeWalt radial arm saw. Although I've got a small shop, I felt the band saw and RAS were a bit small for the projects I was working on, so I sold them. Out of frustration, I tried to sell the planer, but nobody wanted it.

So, I decide on getting a DeWalt GWI, 10" RAS - couldn't find one, and an Oliver 192 - couldn't find one of those either. I was also looking for a small Delta floor standing drill press.

All of a sudden, after years of keeping my eyes open, within a week I've found all three. The GWI (per other post) is in Maine, the drill press is in Northern Wisconsin, and the Oliver is in Southern Wisconsin.

For those of you that know the term - I got some "Ruckerin'" to do. I'll be off to Wisconsin next weekend to pick up the Oliver and the drill press. Just after Christmas it'll be off to Maine to pick up the GWI.

And so with this:

192 upleft.jpg 192 upperright.jpg

192 lowright.jpg 192 open.jpg

My stable is complete!

Any suggestions on how to load and transport an Oliver 192 bandsaw with a Toyota Tacoma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Wow! John, you're really on a roll. Congratulations on your "new" machines.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Man, you've really been "stepping in it" this week! Congrats on yet another great find and buy!

Unlike a Euro style band saw that you could lay down on its spine, this one you'll want to keep upright in the truck bed and have it fastened tight against the front of the bed/back of the cab. But a low trailer might be more manageable...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-17-2008 at 8:33 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,
    I have a Tacoma and me thinks a trailer would be "the way".....
    Oh yeah, nice gloats BTW.

Greg

John
    Congratualations! That is a beauty.

I think a small trailer and a rugged crate would be the way.

I would consider some expanding insulating foam to help secure it inside the crate.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Congrats John! Chris will be along to inform you that Old Metal Gloats are limited to 1 a day and you have now metal your limit for today.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Congrats John! Chris will be along to inform you that Old Metal Gloats are limited to 1 a day and you have now metal your limit for today.
    Ain't no metal here, this's Old 'Arn!!

John
    John Bailey

Wow, very neat and beefy bandsaw. Don't wear it out! Happy motoring!

Thats interesting how they all came about in such short order. You have great taste in tools!

I have use of a fold-up engine lifts that Harbor Freight sells for about $150. I used it receintly to get a Delta 15" planer into my GMC van (with-out base).
    They fold-up to a compact size and set up quickly. I would remove the base to get a lower center of gravity, and see if I could get it in the pick-up bed sitting upright.
    Nice find!
    David Werkheiser

hahaha....

Having fun, John?

Nice finds, nice finds....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If you can, put the bandsaw on a skid, and transport it upright. Your Toyota Tacoma should be fine. Nice find!

After doing a little research, and getting suggestions from the OWWM guys, it seems that Oliver, back in the day, considered the model 192 a "portable" band saw. At least that's what the brochure said. In less than a half hour your supposed to be able to unscrew the top wheel and take it off, two bolts takes off the table, the motor unbolts easily, and four more bolts separates the main casting from the base. You end up with 600 lbs. split amongst five pieces, easily put into the pick up. And you guys complain about that little DeWalt benchtop planer.

I'm not sure Oliver was thinking of a guy with 10 thumbs and a bad back to get this done in 30 minutes, but I'll let you know how I did.

John
    John Bailey

John,

I sold my 192-D last Spring; the new owner hired two strong guys with a box truck (came with a ramp) and a refrigerator dolly. Considering how much cast iron was in that band saw I was surprised how quickly they got it loaded. I'd been considering taking off at least the table, but it moved well as it was.

Congrats, it's a very nice machine.

[I had taken the wheels off once, when I sent them to Oliver to have new tires applied, back when Oliver was still in business. They advised slacking off the band's tension each night, to save the tire from getting a permanent groove over time.]
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 10-18-2008 at 8:46 AM.

Nice saw, that's a worthy gloat!

I would love to find an old band saw some day, and lust for a Yates American Y30/Y36 snowflake, but in the event I could find a Y20 that would be all the better space wise.

Oliver 192 is a great size for most all shops though.

You lucky dog!
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 10-18-2008 at 2:37 PM. Reason: I ain't no twain with my grammar...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/