Thread: Mounting router to 3/4" ply

Mounting router to 3/4" ply

I have a new 2.25 HP Triton router (MOF001KC) and I'm thinking of removing the router plate and mounting it "permanently" to a piece of 3/4" birch plywood. I was thinking of routing outing out a space below the table so I can get more height out of the bit.

Is this feasible? And if so, how thick should I leave the plywood to support the router?

Thanks,
    Jim

Wood, ply included, is not a good surface to slide on!

I didn't tell the whole story. I am going to apply stiffeners below and a laminate to the top surface.

What I did....

I bought the Lee Valley router table base (the round one) for my PC 690.
    Followed the instructions, and it went in correctly first time.
    I have it in back-to-back glued laminate sink cut outs, and edgebanded the pieces.
    I have had no sag at all.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'd make a thicker, beefier top than 1 sheet of 3/4" ply: go at least two sheets to get 1 1/2". You can still 'countersink' the router to get some height back....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Gary Rogowski and Doug Stowe both use a piece of plain jane ply for their tables, mounted to a bench with c-clamps.

Burt

Jim, the routed out surface would have to be absoultly flat, and IMHO would be difficult. I just did a fairly nice table out of ply and trimed with oak and oak legs. Set it up for stile and rail bit with no problem with a 3/4 ply top. reinforced underneath with a couple of strips along front and rear rail. mine is a table top version. i think its 30"x18" or so. 4 coats of shellac and a very light wax and done. perfecto. and no, the wax has not caused me any finishing problems yet. i finished my project and then flipped it over to store. prevent any sagging. joe p

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'd make a thicker, beefier top than 1 sheet of 3/4" ply: go at least two sheets to get 1 1/2". You can still 'countersink' the router to get some height back....
    I'm planning to rebuild my worktable/router table soon. My current table has a single 3/4" plywood layer which has worked well except the unsupported edge sagged a little over the years. I'm not using an insert, but routed the underside so only 1/4" remained to mount the router.

I don't know that I want to go with an insert, so I'm curious if I could simply cut a hole for the router in the 3/4" ply and laminate a 1/4" ply sheet on top for mounting the router to?

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Watson View Post
    I'm planning to rebuild my worktable/router table soon. My current table has a single 3/4" plywood layer which has worked well except the unsupported edge sagged a little over the years. I'm not using an insert, but routed the underside so only 1/4" remained to mount the router.

I don't know that I want to go with an insert, so I'm curious if I could simply cut a hole for the router in the 3/4" ply and laminate a 1/4" ply sheet on top for mounting the router to?

Anthony
    I don't see a problem with that, Anthony. To help with sag, you may wish to wrap the table top in hardwood (use biscuits).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.