Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clamp Racks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Chris, does that MM20 suck so much juice that you can't even turn the lights on anymore? BTW, what size wire & breaker did you have to use on that monster?
    I picked up some waterproof soft 10/3 cord from the borg ($$$s, $1.39/ft.) and have it connected to a 30 A 2-pole breaker. The motor is 4.2 HP (240 V) so this should work out just fine.

I just had the lights turned down and figured the pic was good enough!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We're traveling today, so no access to pics of the shop. Mine are very simlar to Jim's. I like to hang that clamps so that they're open and ready to go. I've pinched a few fingers over the years when I used to hang the bessey's in the closed position.

The shop is still in transition...we've only been on the new house a year now! I'm using any available wall space right now, but that's got the collection spread out all over. Still working on the total layout...

My problem is that I have more 40" and 50" Besseys than I need...remember the HD and Lowes blitz a few years back? I think I paid about $18-$19 average per clamp. I'd almost trade them straight up for more 24's...almost...

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Cart

Here is one I built a while back that has really been handy in the shop.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ght=clamp+rack

Blog Entries
    I have cleats down the walls so I went modular. Things have been rearranged quite a few times. They've ended up back almost where they started but will move again on the next project I imagine.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1212197584
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Here's mine...simple...and it continues to work just fine even with twice the clamps.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1105117430
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Here's mine...simple...and it continues to work just fine even with twice the clamps.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1105117430

Ahhh, no earthquakes in your neck-o-the-woods I'll wager .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well, not to raise the dead here, but instead of posting my own thread I thought that I could keep this one going...

I built my clamp storage rack tonight, took all of 30 minutes, actually took longer to put the clamps on the rack then it did to build the thing. I was originally using the exposed I beams in my basement shop for a rack but this proved a little un-safe so I decided to exploit the exposed joists in my basement shop in the corner by my drill press.

All this is is a piece of 3/4" ply wood screwed to the bottom of my joists with 1 5/8" drywall screws at 6" intervals (which my structural engineer wife asked why there were so many screws...)

This shows the over all view:

This shows it from the end:

And here are some pics from underneath showing the 75+ F-Clamps and 25+ Parallel Clamps on it:

A few pics of mine. JLT panel rack and the shopnotes racks. Second pic is from JLT's site showing it with clamps in use. I have about doubled the Jorgy numberss since this picture - found a deal on 18 more of them in one fell swoop buy when a localish guy was moving. I have since moved the F-bar clamps to another rack also from shopnotes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wow, this thread seems more like a peeing contest than a help/aid!

Well, here's what I did. It is for all of my F style bar clamps 6" to 36", parallel clamps, and spring clams. The 4 foot heavy bar clamps are going on the wall.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Here's my small and simple clamp collection. I don't have a lot of wall space, so i had to go out off of the wall. I've got the slots sized so that I can store any of my clamps. On this rack, which is about 24" wide, I've got 4 Jorgy's, 4 pipe clamps, 2 quick grips, and 8 f-style clamps. I've got another small rack that holds more f-style and quick grips near my work bench.

Here's my solution in a post from last week...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127054

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Have you ever noticed that there seem to be about as many different clamp rack designs as there are wood workers? I remember spending hours scouring woodworking websites, looking for ideas, before I built my clamp rack. I had an idea, if everyone could post pictures of their clamp rack design with a description, into the same post, it could make the search much easier for other woodworkers that are building their first rack and potentially save some trial & error.
    So, what do you think? Post or repost your clamp rack pictures into this thread for posterity.

I’ll kick things off with a repost of my, ahem, Rube Goldburg clamp rack…

“Where do you store a bunch of bar clamps in a 2-car garage shop when your wall & floor space is limited?
    I have been pondering that question for sometime so a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make a decent rack for all my Bessey & Quick-Grips and hang it above an unused garage door.
    I started by having a friend of mine who owns a machine shop order me a piece of 4”x 6”x 3/8” 6061 aluminum angle, 8’ long. Next, I drilled a .250 hole in each of my Bessey clamps for a roll pin - the Quick-Grips already have a pin. I also drilled a hole in the 4 Gross-Stabil bar clamps that my dad bought back in the 50’s. Next, I milled 52 slots of varying widths & depths through the angle. Using a ball end-mill, I also milled a keeper slot to capture the roll pin. It took about 8 hours and a few Millers, but I now have a decent clamp rack with plenty of open slots for future Christmas presents.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Wow, this thread seems more like a peeing contest than a help/aid!
    Well now that the clamp cart peeing target is here .....

BTW - if you need the shopnotes number for the wall design I copied I will search it out.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-21-2016 at 6:55 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    A couple... Some when I can get to them and we use two wheel clamp at work similar to these...
    Last edited by jack duren; 03-20-2016 at 10:13 AM.

I looked at my previous submission to this old thread and had a chuckle...it was clearly before I bought my MM16. This is the clamp rack today:

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Only thing I get confused on is the amount of wall space consumed by efforts to showcase clamps. There not displayed at the store this way so why display them in the shop?