Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teardrop trailer build

Teardrop trailer build

Anyone on here ever build a teardrop trailer? Looks like an interesting project. Most use a Harbor Freight trailer you see in the sale ads.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have never built one , but I have always wanted to. An old neighbor of mine when I was a kid was an absolute wizard at crafting these. It's strange given their size, they still have a cozy feel to them.

Check out the tiny travel and teardrop trailer forum using google

You will find many hours of enjoyable descriptions and information concerning small travel trailers. The level of craftsmanship on many of these is stunning. Makes me want to build one after I build my entertainment center, hutch, blanket chest, boat, etc.
    Last edited by Robert Meyer; 10-20-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: address of a url was posted

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meyer View Post
    Check out the tiny travel and teardrop trailer forum using google

You will find many hours of enjoyable descriptions and information concerning small travel trailers. The level of craftsmanship on many of these is stunning. Makes me want to build one after I build my entertainment center, hutch, blanket chest, boat, etc.
    I spent most of the day Sunday reading through that forum. I am not a big fan of camping but thought it would be a great project. Antique cars are huge around here. I go to a Cruz-in every Friday with a few hundred cars each week. Also have a huge car show called the Pumpkin Run each October on the east side of town. Would be a great show item at the car shows.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Why build a little one. This guy built a whole 5th wheel RV. They camp at a campground we regularly visit. I've never gotten a chance to talk to the guy but from the outside it definitely doesn't look homemade.

As a long time RV'er who does some of the maintenance: WOW!!! on the homemade fith wheel. There are so many things that are unique to an RV and so much detailed planning that would have to be done. Again, WOW!!!

Like the teardrop camper's looks, but how does one fit inside? Would like to see the interior layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Why build a little one. This guy built a whole 5th wheel RV. They camp at a campground we regularly visit. I've never gotten a chance to talk to the guy but from the outside it definitely doesn't look homemade.
    The point of a TTT (tiny travel trailer) or a teardrop trailer is to camp with a little more comfort than a sleeping tent provides. It is also much easier to pull easily without pouring hundreds of dollars down the gas tank. While I can appreciate the work that went into the huge 5th wheel trailer, I would never want to own, much less find a place to park, one. It's like pulling your house behind you. I have attached some sketches of a tiny travel trailer I want to build someday. It could be pulled behind my Tacoma and poke into out of the way places to explore for extended periods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can appreciate that. Pulling our new camper which is no where near that large drops my mileage from over 20 to about 11. Just beware that RV's are like woodworking. Very few of us buy small and never upgrade.

One thing I'd suggest is possibly ditching the bathroom. Our new camper has one and while it is really nice to have it does take up a fair amount of room in there. Also, while ours has probably double the square footage (square inchage?) of the one in your floor plan ours is really tight. Despite the fact that we have several inches of interior headroom, ours also has a skylight bubble over the shower which I need for headroom because the shower pan sits a few inches above the floor for plumbing clearance. Of course that means staying at campgrounds so you get a bathroom and shower. On the other hand it means not needing fresh, black and grey water tanks, a water heater, carrying an assortment of fresh water and sewer hoses, etc. And not having those reduces maintenance and weight. Our old camper was a popup and didn't have any of those things. In fact because it was so tight, we never cooked inside of it other than in the microwave. Not that we couldn't have but between cleaning up the space for the stove and the odors that would have gotten in there it would have been a pain so we always set up a camp stove outside. And of course usually outside you can just dump your dishwater on the ground. To get hot water we just heated a pot of it up and did dishes in a dishpan.

One other thing--do you have any idea what the tounge weight on that design will be? It looks like most of the weight is in front of the wheels.

I assume you know that these are commercially available. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one, but finding a dealer and checking a couple out might give you some ideas. Checking out some of the bigger RV's might also give you some ideas.

If you want to check out some neat designs for teardrop campers check out these.
    http://home.centurytel.net/edevold/]
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Good points Matt. The bathroom really does add complication to a trailer, and most likely I will skip the shower and just provide an emergency port-potti. Most teardroppers like to keep their wheels from 30-35% of the total length of the cabin measured from the rear. They usually have more weight in the rear because they have an outside pop-up lid over a kitchen. My design has the wheels at 35% which allows me to have the door in front of the wheelwells. I may need to move it to 40% from the back but would then have a 24" or narrower door or reduced size of the front bunk. As in woodworking, designing small is often harder than designing large. Anyway, I want to build a boat (Redwing 18) before the trailer so I've time to kick around my design for several years.

possible alternative

building your camper may be the over riding consideration. However, I note manufactured units are very expensive for "what you get". I bought a used 17' Casita (all fiberglass) for $11,000. Self contained, 2,200 pounds. My Tundra tows it but mpg drops from 18.6 to 14+.

I notice in your design, Robert, that you designed the trailer to extend over the wheels. I wonder why the traditional teardrop trailer doesn't do that. Seems like you'd get a bit more room that way. Doesn't seem that it would be much more complex to build. Or is it?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I saw this homemade one and luckily had the camera with me.

It could possibly be the FIRST Fifth Wheel rig.

I think the front part may have been an old Hearse.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

My buddy is building one from scratch in his garage....check this thread out on our forum....http://www.grossepointegothic.com/ph....php?f=2&t=215

There's 12 pages or so of pics during the build. Thomas is a good friend who actually worked with me for awhile back in 2005. He's doing a great job with it and should be ready to camp in it this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I notice in your design, Robert, that you designed the trailer to extend over the wheels. I wonder why the traditional teardrop trailer doesn't do that. Seems like you'd get a bit more room that way. Doesn't seem that it would be much more complex to build. Or is it?

Mike
    I think it might be a matter of looks. If it were me, I'd keep the wheels out because I like the looks. If space is the determining factor, I'm going with a different, more spacious design anyway.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.