Thread: Want shaper suggestions

Want shaper suggestions

I’m looking for some recommendations on purchasing a new shaper. I recently sold my 1hp Jet which worked but was just too small. I’m looking for a replacement now and would like some input from everyone here.

This is just for hobbyist use so I don’t need anything built for heavy production but I also want something that I won’t wear out or wish for bigger in 30 years.

What features, brands, other items should I be looking for? I know I want a minimum of 3 hp and 1” spindle. I also would like to keep the cost for a shaper and power feeder under $2000.

I’ve found a used one locally which is a 3 hp Woodtek with ¾ hp Maggi power feeder. I haven’t seen it in person but the power feeder looks nice while the shaper has seen some heavy use. He’s asking $900 which seems fair.

Thanks for your help,
    Wes

I am very happy with the 3HP Shop Fox. It has plenty of power, the fence is easy to adjust, it comes with 3 spindles (1", 3/4", 1/2") and the price should be well within your range.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    This is just for hobbyist use so I don’t need anything built for heavy production but I also want something that I won’t wear out or wish for bigger in 30 years.

Thanks for your help,
    Wes
    Hi Wes, boy you don't ask for much, just a simple 30 year prediction!..LOL

Well, here goes my 30 year prediction based upon owning a 3HP shaper with a Hammer hc 308 feeder.

- I predict that you will replace your new 3HP Chaiwanese shaper within 10 years.

- I predict that you will want a shaper with a true sliding table, to be able to make high quality, large and small tenons safely and accurately.

- you will also want a better fence than the normal Chaiwanese offerings.

- you may want to run a router bit, and a high speed spindle would be nice for those occasions.

- I predict that your $2,000 budget is about half of what you will spend on a basic machine.

OK, so maybe I won't replace the mystic on the Johnny Carson show, however the above is from my personal hobby experience.

I'm presently looking at the Hammer F3 Shaper, or more likely the B3 sliding saw shaper which would replace two green machines with one.

I don't think that you'll gain anything by going from a 1HP to a 3HP shaper except for power and table size. The function will be the same, and you'll soon want a sliding table..

Let me know in 30 years how my prognostication worked out..........Rod.

To keep the predictions rolling, i predict that with a $2000 budget, you will either get a good used unit and possibly a used power feed, or new equipment from grizzly, or seriously annoyed in the next ten years.

I don't think I have seen any name brand shapers with a 3HP 1" spindle configuration and a feeder for under $2000 other than Grizzly? Have you? Easy to pick when there are few choices.

The new Jet 35X shaper looks interesting, has some of the features of a euro shaper minus the tilting arbor and sliding table, but breaks your $2K budget a bit.

I can tell you that the jump from Jets little 1HP shaper to a 3HP 3/4" shaper is a big one that might fit your needs and budget depending on your needs. I have an older Delta that works great for most things and short production runs, makes raised panels, interior doors and small moldings very well, cost me $1500 for a new feed and the shaper in almost new condition.

Good luck in your search.

I'm not sure what hobbyist means anymore. I have friends who are
    woodworking hobbyists with industrial shapers weighing 1500 lbs or
    more and spindle sizes of 1 1/4 inches. The first question you should
    be asking is what is the largest size cutters I want to run. With shapers
    it's all about the cartridge bearings. Here is an interesting size comparison
    http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3313...t=delta+shaper
    on a couple of american made machines. Just a little food for thought.

Martin

Martin, the link didn't get visible.

Sorry 'bout that. Seems to be working now.

Here are a few thoughts based on my shaper-intensive business experience:

The heavier the better.
    The bigger the bearings and the more widely spaced the better.
    A fence that you can lock down, then adjust each side is best.
    Simple motor controls are best.
    The feeder is not as important as the shaper.
    JR

I have the Grizzly version of what Johns shopfox is, the G1026

It comes with a 1" spindle and is 3hp.
    I have not had it long but it does what I need as a general user, not a shop running a hundred Bf a day through it. I run router bits and cutter heads. I even have some 1 1/4 cutters that will fit just fine aftre adjusting the fence and gettings some bushings to make it fit the 1" spindle.

Also right now you can get $200 off the Grizzlys if you buy through eBay/Microsft's live discount.

I agree with JR's thoughts. Heavier is better, less vibration, smoother cuts, etc. For what you describe for your needs and budget I'd recommend either the Delta HD or the Powermatic 27 as good used choices. I wouldn't bother with any offshore brands or with a 1" spindle unless you already have cutters for it. 3/4" and 1-1/4" are the most common cutters available and I prefer the larger though I have both. 3 hp is a minimum, if your going to do raised panels or large moldings on it I'd try to get a 5hp.
    In my area there are plenty of used models on the market, I sold my Delta not too long ago with a 3 hp motor and the aluminum fence for $700 or so. Another $4-500 should buy you a decent feeder. The 27 is a better machine IMO but the fence leaves a lot to be desired.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I have two Grizzly 3hp shapers and they work very well. Dust collection could be improved but with a little effort, you can get it to work much better.

I keep them setup for styles and rails. Do enough changing back and forth and the cost of the second machine is nothing. IMHO

Dar

For a small custom furniture shop I found the Powermatic model 26 quite adequate; it had 1", 3/4" and 1/2" spindles and a 3 h.p. two speed motor and I added a reversing switch. I bought it (barely) used for what I considered a good price at the time, which was back when they were green.

And in general when shopping for equipment, I would always look for good quality/condition used before buying new; at some point of course you have to stop looking and just buy whatever will do the job, but most pros and hobbyists can afford to spend a couple of months looking for a deal in the used market, IMO.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 10-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.

To add to that I bought mine used as well. I could not and still can;t afford a new one. But my 3hp G1026 Grizzly was $450 used with the router collet and dust port already on it.