More ambrosia maple. I roughed six platters this evening, this is the way that I do it. After cutting the six slabs, I found the center and made the circles and cut the corners.

I use the screw chuck for these (oneway, which is the best).Since the slabs aren't that thick I put a piece of tape around the bit to make sure I don't go to deep.

I use the tailstock until I get it in round

Just a slight platter shape with a tenon, and a small hole for truing up the tenon after drying

I took the weight out of the piece down to the end of the screw hole and then mde a hole on this side too for rechucking.

All six ready for the dna.

Since I knew I was going to do all six of these at one time, the best way to do it is do the steps all at one time. For example, I roughed all six backs at one time to keep from having to take the screw in and out of the chuck, likewise I did all the fronts at the same time. I was able to start roughing these at about 600 rpms, it took me about 2 and a half hours to rough these out, would have taken longer if I hadn't done them as a group. Hope someone finds this useful.