Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are we nuts?

I was little wary of starting wood turning and joining the forum, but now I see I will fit in just fine...

Welcome to the Creek Rick! You'll fit in just fine........wade right in the water's fine!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome Rick. You will fit in fine with the rest of us crazies.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    We start with a material that is basically round. Then we square it up so we can make it round again.

This occurred to me while I was creating bottle stopper blanks from a walnut log. Take a cylinder, cut it into cubes, make those into octagons, then make them round again. Sheeesh.

Lux
    Sheeessshhh Scott and your point is??????????? Oh yea we go from sqaure to round, to square to round, etc, etc, etc, Oh yea to round again.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Welcome Rick. You will fit in fine with the rest of us crazies.

Uhhh....Mr. Weshapl.......the subject at hand is us "nuts"....not us "crazies"....
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Uhhh....Mr. Weshapl.......the subject at hand is us "nuts"....not us "crazies"....
    UH sorry Ken I always thought it was crazies???? Nuts well maybe!!!!
    Bernie

It makes perfectly good turner sense Bernie. Nuts are round......Crazies....well they are around.....
    Ken

Very well put David I agree.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    We start with a material that is basically round. Then we square it up so we can make it round again.

This occurred to me while I was creating bottle stopper blanks from a walnut log. Take a cylinder, cut it into cubes, make those into octagons, then make them round again. Sheeesh.

Lux
    So, youse gotta problem wit dat buster? I mean youse saying something about dat ain't right? Cause, I mean, I don't see de problem if you know what I'm sayin. So youse saying we ain't right? We're nuts? I mean, we take a nice piece a wood and we puts it on da lathe and badda bing badda boom, something nice for ya broad. Take it home wid you. Put it on da mantle. I mean, what could be wrong wid dat? Capiche?

//sounded a lot funnier in my head I'm sure. Picture Joe Pesci in Goodfellas in the "Funny How?" scene.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Speaking of Nuts!

I had gatherd a few black walnuts that fall from my neighbors tree into my yard earlier this summer. So I was digging through the mess around my chopsaw and found them. They still had the green husk on them but they were dry and hard. So I like a challenge and glued one to a wooden morse taper and started to turn it. I think it will become a little lidded box as the shape of the nut lends itself to that. So I will post a pic when complete! Just have to keep the squirrels out of the shop!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Are we nuts?

At one time I heard the definition of a woodworker: someone who takes big pieces of wood, cuts them into small pieces of wood, and then assembles them together to make big pieces of wood (furniture). Based on this definition, I don't think turners are nuts at all; at all; at all; at all;
    Kurt