Thread: coming out of the Laguna closet

Thumbs up coming out of the Laguna closet

This is my major gloat for this year. I got my Laguna LT-18 yesterday. I have noticed on the creek that most of you prefer the MMs, so I feel like I'm coming out of the closet by telling you this. I went to the Charlotte, NC WW show this spring to, just to see both saws, and bought the Laguna.

Do you know what sold me on the Laguna? Larry Drum, the Laguna rep. at the show. If the people are the company, then this is the type of company I want to deal with. The MM reps were nice but Larry was just so easy to talk with and I can assure you I talked to him a lot. He must have answered a thousand questions and walked me through the saw as if I'd already bought the saw and he was at my house doing a setup.

I've gotten my LT-18 and so far I LOVE it. It arrived in great shape. I must tell this on myself though, after reading on forums about a poor manual, I wasn't surprised with the manual that was with the saw. I'd say it was a useless group of papers written in umpteen languages. I called Laguna to make sure the mobility kit was just back ordered and I mentioned the poor manual needed work. The customer service very politely asked if I had opened the box of blades. I said not yet and he then said the Laguna manual was in with the blades, what I had was the "generic" manual that the mfg included also. He said they are in the process of making "open me first stickers" for the band boxes for that reason. The Laguna manual seems to be above most equipment manuals I've gotten (although mine was photo copied, they did send 2 copies, one to use and the other as a backup). One laugh though, the saw is bolted to a pallet, covered with cardboard and banded. So the proper order is, cut the bands, pull off the cardboard box covering, open the blade box, get out the manual and read that you must be careful in cutting the bands, they are under tension. At least we are legally covered.

After attaching the motor, table, hooking up the power cord, and putting on the blade I made a few trial cuts. I've never had a machine run so smooth and never seen such good cuts on a bandsaw. I'm sure the MM may be just as good a saw, I can't see how it could be that much better.

I'm looking forward to many years of service and making huge piles of sawdust with my Laguna.

I posted a few months back for comments on both saws and got many good replies. I especially want to thank, on the forum, John Miliunas for his input and e-mails. He is what Saw Mill Creek is about, woodworkers helping each other out, no name calling, no put downs, but just honest to the heart answers to real questions. Thanks again to all my fellow "CREEKERS".

Mark Angle
    BONUM VINUM LAETIFICAT COR HOMINIS
    (Good wine galddens a mans heart)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congratulations Mark! The Laguna is a serious wood slicer! I have read some complaints on their customer service but more than likely Laguna has read them too and is turning things around. I should also say that I have never read any serious complaints about their machines!

Enjoy!

Ps, don't go blowin any smoke towards that John Miliunas fellow - his head is already on the big side.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Mark! I have the same saw. I just upgraded mine for the Laguna Guides. I like them better than the Euro guides. I also ordered the Resaw Master blade, but have not yet installed it to give it a go (still working on the batch of steel blades that I bought some time ago...)

Todd

Thanks for the congradulations! I love Laguna....lived here for 30 years! I saw Laguna and resaw it everyday!
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Congrats on the Laguna BS purchase.!!! I have the LT16 and also have the X31 Combo machine. Two fine pieces of equipment. The only thing I don't like is the fence for the TS on the X31. I've had the both since September of 1999 and have NEVER had any trouble out of either one of them.

Of course I can't say that about some of my Delta tools.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Ya see there, Mark?! You're NOT the "only" Laguna owner! And you're certainly NOT the only happy one, either! Yup, Larry D. is an OK dude! He wasn't my sales rep, but I swear that he put more effort and concern into my satisfaction level than my own rep did. I finally got to meet the man some time *after* I got my 16HD and he's just a "real" in person as he is via email and phone! Laguna would do well by cloning this guy many times over!

You're right about the manual thing, too. I did the *exact* same thing! I think it may even be to their benefit to send out a copy of the GOOD manual prior to shipping the saw! Kind of a prelude of things to come and a good heads up on unpacking the unit. And, as Dennis eluded to, those guides are the "bomb"! Also, thanks for the kind words. I did nothing more than give you my opinion(s) and relate my personal experiences with LT.

All in all, me thinks you'll be making sawdust with that unit for many, many years to come! Enjoy and again, congrats!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I just bought the Lt-16, and hopefully will be picking it up at their shop/warehouse next Wednesday.

Larry Marley was my sales rep. I toured their entire shop area, and got to try out the saws before buying. I was very happy with their service, and will hopefully, be equally happy with the LT-16.

BTW, that Resaw King blade is awsome - but $1.50 per inch? Pricey!

I have been using a LT16 for about 10 years. When I was scrolling like a mad man I resawed weekly. Now its bowl blank duty. If I could justify I would get the 24"

Terry

Greetings Mark from a fellow LT18 owner. Ditto on all the concerns you
    stated when you got the machine. Got mine in '01 and been happily sawing
    since. My only concern has been the upper guides; the thrust bearing was
    fried after a year of use. So I am looking into the new ceramic guides.

One question from me: did yours come with the ceramic guides, or did you
    have to retro-fit them. Do you like them. I am calling Laguna today to get
    shipping costs for a possible order today.

Congrats and watch those fingers.

I LOVE my MM20, Mark. I'm sure the Laguna is just as great and it appears they are working really hard on the customer service end. I can't say enough about MiniMax customer service. The guys in Austin are simply fantastic and they really take care of you at the drop of a hat. I didn't even buy the MM20 directly from them (got it used) but they offered me a good deal on a mobility kit and a 1" carbide blade and knocked the shipping down, too. Great CS.

However, I must admit that my down payment on a 16" J/P from them *may* have something to do with the great CS I'm getting!

Best of luck with the Laguna...it is a fine machine. I got to play on a 16" one once...cut nicely.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.