Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roof rack adapted to carry 4x8 sheets?

I have a Thule rack and I've carried two 3/4" 4x8 sheets several times on it no problems. I just tie it down using one ratcheting tie down in the front and another in the back. If you try to lift or shove around the sheet goods with your hands, you move the car instead not the rack or the plywood. They've never shifted or anything for me. I just take it slow, and probably feel safer with that on my car then going out buying a hitch and trailer and having another 10 feet of vehicle I'm not used to.

I carried loads of ply on my old Yak rack without any problem or mishap--heck, I've carried a lot heavier things than that, and my rack was secured to the factory rails.

Yes, wind can catch a 4x8 sheet and generate some force, but if the load is properly secured, what is "catching" the wind is 3/4" x 4', not 4'x8'. If you somehow managed to bow the ply into a wing, you might get some lift, but that seems far-fetched. If it really worries you, invest in a wind deflector that will direct airflow above your load.

When I was doing this, my crossbars were over 4', so I could secure the ply down to the rails, and then I'd run a set of straps preventing the front of the ply from moving forward, and a set preventing the back of the ply from sliding backwards. Worked fine...

Now I just throw it in the back of the pick up...

I do this fairly often with a Yakima rack on the Corolla

The questions are how far and how fast. I normally figure the one cut lengthwise I need done and have them rip it at the yard. If I need full sheets of thicker ply I remove the little canoe brackets and just strap the ply down with a two long webbing straps to the two cross bars. Back roads only which is all I have between me and most yards. Sheetrock or thin plywood you would need maybe a piece of 3/4 ply underneath and 1/2 inch or so on top. I haul anything and everything with that rack for occasional use. Would not haul plywood on the free way though. I did just get a new wood sliding glass door from Home Depot a couple weeks ago, got it on and off the roof by myself but just barely.
    Good luck,
    Larry