Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly table saw questions

Grizzly table saw questions

i was looking at the craftsman 22124, however due to some comments here i am now also considering the grizzly 1023sl or 1023slw.

how does the girzzly fence compare to the Bies on the craftsman?

is the router table on the 1023slw worth the extra $150 bucks?

what router works best with this table?

for using a mobile base G7314 and saw 1023slw, do you need the extension kit, G8684?

when upgrading to the 3hp motor over the 1.75, what type of work would require this upgrade??

are there any longevity issues with the 1.75hp version vs the 3hp version?

lastly what is a good price for these 2 saws?

thanks
    tony

I don't know much about the Craftsman but the Grizzly comes with the Router Table and legs which would provide better support. I question whether you wood need the extension for the wheels on the legs. They are not that far away as it would be with the 7' rails. I would just screw them up when I wanted to move it and then down when I was in the position I wanted. The extra Horses will make the job of cutting a lot easier. I have seen on here where guys go to ebay or Amazon and get some discounts on the saw. It is a very good saw for the money and gets great reviews both here and elsewhere. I think you would be happier with the Grizzly Machine. If you want a router this is a cheaper was to get a table. I would use a good 3+hp router on it.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gorgone View Post
    i was looking at the craftsman 22124, however due to some comments here i am now also considering the grizzly 1023sl or 1023slw.

how does the girzzly fence compare to the Bies on the craftsman?

is the router table on the 1023slw worth the extra $150 bucks?

what router works best with this table?

for using a mobile base G7314 and saw 1023slw, do you need the extension kit, G8684?

when upgrading to the 3hp motor over the 1.75, what type of work would require this upgrade??

are there any longevity issues with the 1.75hp version vs the 3hp version?

thanks
    tony
    I researched table saws for about two years on and off, and ironically, I just placed my order for the G1023SL this morning. It was the best bang for the buck. If you buy it, make sure you buy it direct from grizzly on ebay, you get a brand new saw with full warranty for $755.00 with the Microsoft Cash Back deal, shipped direct from Grizzly, instead of the 995 that grizzly sells it for when you order it via phone.

On the fence, I have looked at the Beismeyer fence, it is my understanding that the Grizzly ships with the shop fox fence, and is about as good, however I have not seen it up close yet. I have heard from many that the two fences are very similar in construction.

On the router extension, I did not get it and the reason why is that I already have a router table, But even if I did not have a router table, I would still prob not get it, because a router table is more versatile depending on what you buy, you can customize it more to your needs. For example if you want to install a particular router lift, it may not fit the grizzly, and it’s much easier to modify MDF than it is to modify cast iron for the flange to fit.

Not sure on the extension.

ON the router, whether you get the router extension or a seperate table, go with a 3.25 HP Porter Cable, the 7518. They are great.

Check out http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/ and live.com for pricing.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Tony,

I've had both, both bought used and I say go for the Grizzly. The only disadvantage is its need for 240 volt service. It's heavier, more powerful, prettier and last I heard, made in Taiwan vs. China. The Shop Fox Classic fence is a Bies clone and very well made, although I UP graded to a Unifence and sold the Shop Fox. Last time I looked a 1023SL was about a grand delivered. The Craftsman is over a grand at the store.

If you want a cast iron router table and if you want it on your saw, the $150 upgrade is an OK deal. I have a sliding table so I moved my left wing to the right side plus I have a router table I made out of an old saw table, so I have 40" of cast iron to the right of the blade. I moved my Unifence to the right and can rip about 36".

Blog Entries
    Ah, the struggle to decide. Its a good problem to have if you don't let it get to you. The Griz comes with a Shop Fox Classic fence and the zip code saw has a commercial class Biesemeyer. The Griz only has a 26" and 8" rip capacity (left / right respectively) and the Orion hybrid has 30"and 19". Either saw is available with longer fence rails.

The Griz has a smaller table BUT, it has 3HP and massive trunnions and is sure to be a stable beast. The Griz needs 220v and the hybrid can run either BUT, it's only 1.75HP. The Griz router extension seems cool but will not accept a plate; I'd skip that. Too limiting. I'd do something else on the router table option.

People love them both and both are good machines. Which is the best machine for YOU . .. that is the question you must answer grasshopper. You may want to make a side-by-side comparison of features and score each feature as to how important it is to you. Raw power is never a bad thing in a saw but I do love my Bies . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

daniel,

did you also use the 10% promotion that ebay is currently offering?

thanks
    tony

I was in your situation a couple months ago. I ended up going with the Grizzly 1023SL. I already had a router table so getting one with the saw was not important to me. I feel the grizzly is a better value than the zip code saw especially with the Live Search Discount added. Having played with a zip code saw in the store and the 1023 I got, I thought the 1023 was more sturdy and everything moved a lot smoother (bevel and blade height adjustment). As has been mentioned you will need 240V for the Grizzly while the zip code saw works on 110V.

I felt the Grizzly 1023SL was better than the Zip Code saw but I imagine you'll be pleased with either. Do your research and try to look at them in person if you can.

does the 1023 come with a plug, or does it need to be directly wired?

does anyone mind having the opening between where the table ends and the fence when the fence is moved all the way to the right?

has anyone built there own table to fill in this gap?

thanks
    tony

...how does the grizzly fence compare to the Bies on the craftsman?

...when upgrading to the 3hp motor over the 1.75, what type of work would require this upgrade??

...are there any longevity issues with the 1.75hp version vs the 3hp version?

thanks
    tony
    The Shop Fox Classic is a decent copy of the Biese. I've owned the Canadian made General Biese Homeshop version, the real Biese Commercial fence, and now the SF Classic. I do prefer the laminate faces of the Biese and the fit and finish, but the SF works just as well. I slid both rails right to get 40" from the Biese and 36" from the SF, and I mount my router table on the right side.

With good alignment and proper blade choice, the 1.75hp motors will cut just about anything you're likely to encounter at a reasonable pace, but it does labor more. The cab saws have more power and are less sensitive to the blade and alignment issues. The 3hp motors will labor less, so there's some merit in the philosophy that they'll last longer in the long run, although it's not a certainty...you could get 30 years from one of the smaller motors.

Overall I'm pleased with the upgrade to the SF over the 22124. I have more confidence that it'll run hard for decades without fail, but I did like the 44" wide surface of the 22124 and always enjoyed using the saw. As I mentioned earlier, if the cost between the two saws ends up close, there's very little advantage in choosing the hybrid over the cab saw, but there's several advantages in going with the cab saw over the hybrid. Take a look at the pics of the innerds in the other post. This situation is analogous to buying a 1/2 ton truck for $28k or a full ton truck for $28k....both do the same thing but one is heavier duty than the other for even money.

The SF came with a long cord but no plug, as there are several options for 220v outlets.

Here's a pic of the RT on the right side with the rails slid right taken during the assembly.

HTH...good luck!

Scott
    Last edited by scott spencer; 10-24-2008 at 7:39 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It doesn't come with a plug, because everyone tends to use different plug types. I picked one up from Lowes for like 6 bucks.

daniel,

did you also use the 10% promotion that ebay is currently offering?

thanks
    tony
    Actually when I bought it on ebay on Tuesday, it was 30 percent off with Microsoft cash back deal, up to 200 dollars off per purchase.

First of all, when grizzly lists on ebay, they do a five percent discount. They list it for 955. On top of that, if you sign up for a live.com cash back account AND an ebay AND a pay pal account, AND if you buy the saw on ebay AND use pay pal to pay for it AND search for the table saw using live.com search engine, Microsoft sends you a 200 dollar cash back rebate in 60 days. So the total savings for the saw is 245 bucks.

My funds just got to pay pal today so I just paid for it this morning and it shipped this afternoon.

It’s like getting free shipping plus a 150 bucks off. Pretty good deal.

Note: You must use live.com search in order to see and take advantage of the cash back discount on ebay. If you search for the saw just by going directly to ebay without using the live.com search engine, you won’t get the 200 bucks off.
    Last edited by Daniel Hillmer; 10-24-2008 at 8:06 PM.

does the 1023 come with a plug, or does it need to be directly wired?

does anyone mind having the opening between where the table ends and the fence when the fence is moved all the way to the right?

has anyone built there own table to fill in this gap?

thanks
    tony
    Not sure about the plug, I can say however that when I bought the grizzly 15 inch planer and 8 inch jointer last year, the plug was not included so I had to go to my local electrical supply house and buy a couple of plugs to wire on to the power cord.

it's usually better that way anyway because if your shop is already wired for 240, there are many different versions of outlets so this way, you buy the correct matching plug and wire up the male plug to match your outlet.

I did not have 240 in my garage, so I had to run a cable out to it and buy and install a service panel - I did it for 350 bucks, the electrician wanted 1500.00 saved myself some money.

daniel,

i think you misunderstood me. i meant did you use the 10% ebay discount in addition to the microsoft 25% cashback?

also, grizzly's website lists the price of the 1023sl at $955. where is the 5% you're talking about?

thanks
    tony

daniel,

i think you misunderstood me. i meant did you use the 10% ebay discount in addition to the microsoft 25% cashback?
    Read this:

"eBay may permit you to combine Cashback Rewards with other eBay promotions, coupons, or gift certificates (each, an "eBay Promotion") and may permit you to receive Cashback Rewards on purchases of gift cards or gift certificates. If eBay elects to do so, you will be provided with an opportunity to combine Cash Back Rewards with the eBay Promotion during the checkout flow on www.eBay.com. With the exception of eBay Promotions as described herein, Cashback Rewards cannot be combined with any other offer on purchases on
    "

When I placed my order, that additional ten percent discount did not show up. If it shows up in checkout, you can get it. If not, you can't.

also, grizzly's website lists the price of the 1023sl at $955. where is the 5% you're talking about?

thanks
    tony
    No, it doesn't, grizzlys list price for the saw is $995.00. Click here:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-T...t-Tilt/G1023SL

Grizzly lists it on ebay for $955.00 Click here:

It's 40 bucks cheaper on ebay even without any other discounts. Actually it's about a 4 percent discount.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-25-2008 at 10:39 AM.

thats odd. i just checked ebay and grizzly.

the 1023sl is listed for 955 and 995 respectively.
    the 1023slw is listed for 1050 on both sites.

i guess i got confused about which one i was looking at.

tony