Thread: About to take Festool Plunge...

About to take Festool Plunge...

I have ordered a Festool Trion PS 300 EQ. This is to replace my trusty Bosch barrel grip (1584, I think). The reason? Well, while installing a mail chute in a rather expensive, 2 3/8" thick, Spanish cedar door, the blade bowed a bunch (in my favor), and it got me thinking. With a big butcher-block countertop install to do soon, why not try the Festool? The store where I bought it actually let me use the thing- all models an display were for demonstration. So, back in the "demo" room, I found a piece of 8/4 QS white oak, scribed a curvy line, and plowed right in. Sure enough- the Festool was easy to manuever, powerful, and left a nice smooth edge. It's a really impressive piece of machinery, and I love the fact that I got to TRY the thing out first.
    My only reservation: am I about to slide down a slippery slope, made slick by Germanic systainers, expensive sanders and really quiet, quality vacuum systems? Should I stop now? Cancel my order? I have a buyer lined up for the Bosch, which takes the sting out of the purchase, plus, hey- I do do this for a living. Maybe I'm feeling guilty. Is there a FA (Festool Anynomous) group I can go to for support? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing here, it's just that I really thought my Bosch would be the last jigsaw I'd ever buy. I still do all my copes with a coping saw. Am I getting in too deep? Or to I just have buyers' remorse? Whatever thoughts you have are appreciated. Thanks for listening/reading. Walt
    Last edited by Walt Pater; 05-23-2004 at 12:04 AM.

Your conscience should be clear.

Walt,

I have yet to read any post where someone regretted a Festool purchase. Remember, your Bosch had Germanic origins too.

You mentioned this is your occupation and that makes you exactly the type Festool expects to sell to. It is a hobby for me so I suppose I should have some of the doubts you expressed, but I don't. I love my Festools and enjoy the heck out of them. Who would think one would enjoy using a vacuum cleaner? Don't tell my wife.

There is a slick commercial for a golfing retailer in our are where some guy mentions their sale at the local Golfers Anonymous meeting and they all run out the door to see what deal they can get. I am afraid that once you buy Festool your probably hooked for life.

Greg

Walt,
    I don't curently own any Festool toys..er, tools, and don't use a jigsaw much, so take this for what it's worth. It seems to me you answered your own question. Your current saw bowed in Spanish Cedar, and the Festool went right thru QS White Oak! I don't kn ow what a solid Spanish Cedar door costs, but replacing one can't be much more than the Festool. Sounds like the thing to do since you do this for a living. Ihope one day to begin collecting...er, using , that green stuff.

Mark

No need to have "buyer's remorse" on this one, especially since you do this for a living. Festool will serve you well and you'll likely find that the combination of stuff you'll ultimately end up with will make you more productive, especially with on-site operations. It's not just a set od tools...it's a system. A well designed system. So yes, expect to invest more over time in black and green!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok then... it's a gloat!
    Walt

Hmmmm, it is a slippery slope though. Congrats.

Jay
    who is thinking I'll never be able to sand again until I get a 150/5 and I wish they'd hurry up and get the 1400 router into the US and I wish I had the cash for all that stuff...
    Jay St. Peter

Jay,

The OF 1400 should make it's way over here in the fall.

Bob
    bob m

I am sure that you will love the saw. I have the earlier PS-2-E jig saw and I love it. And, yes you are correct that thius will likely just be the start of your Festool purchases. I have a very long wish list of tools, stytainers, benches, etc. that I want to acquire some day.

Walt,

Since we all don't really know whether or not we only live once, dive right in and get that jigsaw.

Some wise guy once said that we do have free choice, but we've already made all the choices.

;-)

- Ed

Walt, don't think you need to fret about this purchase! I've had my Festool Trion PS 300 EQ for probably close to a year now and couldn't be much happier! It's funny you should mention your "test drive", because as soon as I got mine, one of the first things I did was to plow into a piece of 8/4 Hard Maple. Like you said, nice and smooth. I further took my small engineer's square and followed the curved line: It was perpendicular to the surface of the piece all through the cut! Any jig saw I've used in the past couldn't do that even on thinner stock. Especially as a Pro, I think you'll not only be able to justify the initial cost, but soon find that it's paying for itself just in time saved sanding stuff! Congrats and enjoy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Use Any Cliche You Want !

It's a no-brainer, right on dude, you'll love it to death . . . . .

because those tools are so good, that when you get it, you will be smilin' like crazy !!
    MARK

Ahem....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up Chris' Gloat

Chris,

Boy, I've been bragging up Festool every chance I've had. I figured it would only be a matter of time before someone accused me of wearing Festool underwear. I gotta get me a shirt! Guess I'll have to order a router just so I can get one.

Greg