Thread: Woodie or Metal Smoother?

Woodie or Metal Smoother?

Greetings to Creekers,
    I am on a mission to add yet another plane to my collection. User Collection that is.
    I am thinking that it is time to add a smoother. I really like to look of Knight Toolworks, Coffin & Finish Smoothing Plane. http://www.knight-toolworks.com/wooden.htm
    I also like the look of the Veritas Low smooth plane. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41182,48944
    I have spent sometime in researching which one to choose. And yes if the money was not an issue, than of course I would get both.
    But back to reality says you get one.
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

If you want both--do it. Just don't do both at once. Or to put it another which one do you want first?

If you've used both wooden and metal planes before, then perhaps one way to decide is which methold would you prefer to adjust the blade with? Taping with a hammer (wood) or turning an adjuster knob (metal).

I've used both in the past and my preference is all wood. I just think they feel much nicer to use. The thicker irons are also much easier to hone freehand as there is a much more substantial bevel to register on the stone. I think wooden planes are easier to tune than metal ones as well, having done multiples of both types.

The other LV smoother

I have that LV smoother and the newer one with the non machined sides. That smoother you have a link to is mighty nice block plane IMO but a mighty small smoother. The newer smoother is alot heavier and does a nice job. I prefer it over my wooden smoothers because of the blade adjustability.

I am partial to wooden planes, there is something special about the tactile feel of wood on wood. The honing of the thicker irons, as Rober mentioned, is also easy to do freehand.
    Although I haven't used the Veritas but I can vouch for the quality of the Knight smoother, they are one of the best wooden planes. Also look at the Clarks and Williams planes, they are the traditional style and extremely well made.

I don't think you will be happy with any of these choices, if you can get your hands on them for a trial/demo I think a personal trial would be the best judge for comfort.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.