Thread: How to Remove Button Plugs

How to Remove Button Plugs

I am trying to disassemble a cherry dining room chair in an attempt to refurbish it. It has several loose joints which need work as well. My question concerns the button plugs which cover several screws which are used to attach the top piece of the back to the chair. Has anyone had any experience in removing such plugs which, despite the generally poor condition of the chair, seem to be glued in quite securely? I suppose I could simply chop them out, but I was hoping for a more civil approach.

Wes
    Winchester, KY

I have used an old drill bit to carefully drill to the screw and then remove it. Since you don't know how large the screw head is you may have to dig around a little. You can than replug the hole maybe with a slightly larger plug.

Drill a small-ish hole in the plug, drive a small screw into it - when the tip hits the head of the existing screw, it should push the plug out as you keep driving. It shouldn't mare the head of the existing screw too much, i don't think.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    I have used an old drill bit to carefully drill to the screw and then remove it. Since you don't know how large the screw head is you may have to dig around a little. You can than replug the hole maybe with a slightly larger plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Drill a small-ish hole in the plug, drive a small screw into it - when the tip hits the head of the existing screw, it should push the plug out as you keep driving. It shouldn't mare the head of the existing screw too much, i don't think.
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. Jason, I'll let you know how your procedure works.

Wes