Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Here! Freuds dowel machine

Its Here! Freuds dowel machine

$329.99 at Rockler
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another interesting joinery option. Any idea what the maximum depth of hole is? I looked at the Freud announcement and didn't see that listed.

I just went online to order it and it is allready sold out due to high demand.

Guess it all what you compare it to but $329 seems a bit high. $199 would be in line with a biscuit jointer but then a Festool domino is what $700? May be a bargain at $329.
    Will be interesting to see what woodworkers will come up with using this tool.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm too lazy to look it up. Does it have a system for registering the holes a la Dowelmax? Or do you line it up with pencil marks like a biscuit joiner?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Another interesting joinery option. Any idea what the maximum depth of hole is? I looked at the Freud announcement and didn't see that listed.
    According to the Rockler site, "with bits spaced exactly 32 mm apart, it’s especially suited for Eurpean cabinet applications. Drills two holes simultaneously up to 1-3/8" deep."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up. Does it have a system for registering the holes a la Dowelmax? Or do you line it up with pencil marks like a biscuit joiner?
    - "Adjustable indexing pins ensure even spacing of repetitive holes."

Looks pretty cool. We should start a stop watch to see how long it takes a Festool fan boy to come in and start ripping it up

Scott

I just got a Domino.
    I dont think I need two of these types of tools.
    I am not a big fan of Freud electric tools. This one does look interesting.

I bet everyone has one of these soon enough.

Why spend $329.00 for the electric Dowel Machine when for about $60.00 or so you can buy this. You only use it once in a while I would think and you can put the money you save into something that you will be using more.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/dowelmax.htm
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Hi Gary,

Were did you see this for $60? The bottom of that review shows it on Amazon for $310.

James

Blog Entries
    It seems that by the time you get a DowelMax really setup as a versatile tool you push $200 and can go beyond but, I would do that before I'd go with a dedicated one-trick-pony. I went with a Mortise Pal but I do more mortising than doweling. Also, I don't know that DowelMax can help you with surface drilling(?). So, as usual folks . . . What's Best? . . . it depends.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Lange View Post
    Why spend $329.00 for the electric Dowel Machine when for about $60.00 or so you can buy this. You only use it once in a while I would think and you can put the money you save into something that you will be using more.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/dowelmax.htm
    Hi Gary,

Let's go into business together. You buy Dowelmaxs for $60, and I'll sell them for double that and split the profits with you . I think you better double check that price . It's a great tool, but does have it's limitations just as most tools do.

The Freud tool looks like it's strength that will set it apart from other dowelling tools would be in doing panel work. Most dowel jigs leave something to be desired if you want to set a line of dowels in the middle of a panel (ie. a bookcase side). With this tool a straight edge and you're ready to go. Pretty much a bisuit joiner that drills for dowels instead of cuts for biscuits.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It seems that by the time you get a DowelMax really setup as a versatile tool you push $200 and can go beyond but, I would do that before I'd go with a dedicated one-trick-pony. I went with a Mortise Pal but I do more mortising than doweling. Also, I don't know that DowelMax can help you with surface drilling(?). So, as usual folks . . . What's Best? . . . it depends.
    Glenn, I've been looking at the mortise pal. What do you see as the pros and cons of it? Sorry I'm hijacking the thread...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

If the distance was variable it would be interested. But with the two holes fixed at 32mm apart, I don't think I would get enough use out of it.

Comparing it to the domino...
    I think the best part of the domino is the indexing from hole to hole; it is done easily and perfectly. This doesn't have that feature. (But I don't think the new domino does either; if not, I surely wouldn't pay $700 for it.)

Hi Wade,

According to the Freud site, it has adjustable indexing pins. I didn't see anything about outrigger pins for longer spans.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT