Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best way to find lost tools....

Talking The best way to find lost tools....

I have come up with the most sure fired way of finding lost tools. Go out and buy a replacement tool and the old one will just jump out at you! Its a miracle I tell ya!

I just moved down here to Maineville Ohio, I need to put up some shelving. I couldn't find my stud finder for anything. I spent 2 days looking for it. I finally gave up and bought a new one, it actually warns you if there is AC in the area. I used it for one set of shelves, and while working down in the basement trying to put my table saw back together I saw it laying right out in plain site.........

Gotta love it when that happens.....

Bryan

Brian,

That is the only sure-fire guarranteed way to find a lost tool. It's only a little quicker if you buy a better more expensive model as the replacement.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

True, True!

Have multiple doubles here. Almost had a "duplicate" framing nailer last week, but found it just in time.

Ted

Not only that......but you should look all over your lawn if you have kids like I do. Never know what you may mow over one day.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

"...the old one will just jump out at you..."

And did you ever notice that it's always in the last place you look?
    David DeCristoforo

David......as we approach the onset of Alzheimers....that may not be true much longer......
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-26-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You can speed up the discovery of the lost tool greatly by buying a much more expensive version as a "replacement"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "...the old one will just jump out at you..."

And did you ever notice that it's always in the last place you look?
    David, yesterday, while working on a project, I couldn't find my favorite square that I'd used a few minutes before. I looked all over the bench I was working on and then searched the rest of the shop. I finally gave up and got my second favorite square to finish the project. When I was finished and was cleaning up there was my favorite square right on the bench so in this case it was in the first place I looked.

Charles, was that square laughing at you, too??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I have come up with the most sure fired way of finding lost tools. Go out and buy a replacement tool and the old one will just jump out at you! Its a miracle I tell ya!
    works every time. Save that receipt~!!

I save the receipt but with my memory slipping I usually keep the tool because I know I will be looking again, this way I double the chance of going out and buying a third tool. I try to put everything back into the location where I normally store it so I increase my odds of saving a trip to the hardware store.
    David B

I tried to explain to the wife that I couldn't find my table saw, and so had to buy a new one.....she didn't buy it. (both literally in figuratively....)

I was working in my shop and needed my 1 3/8" fostner bit to drill a hole. I looked and looked but could not find it. Lost a day in the shop.
    Next day a 1/2 hour trip to Rockler to get a new one. Half hour drive back to my shop. I get my shopsmith set up in drill press mode. I grab my 1/2 chuck to mount on the spindle and guess what was in the chuck?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yesterday , I couldnt find my cordless drill,I thought that I took into the house, and looked there too..no luck..so I got my wife involved, we looked in the house and shop for 1 hour,finally she walked nearby the charger and asked me where the charger was and I told her,,sitting right in front of her was the drill and she didnt even see it either..
    And she tells me I need to open my eyes somtimes...huh..
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

About a year and a half ago I "lost" my 18V Makita driver/drill. I had remembered putting it on the bumper of my truck while locking my shop up for the night so I thought it may have fallen off in the parking lot. I asked all of my friends if they had perhaps seen it and picked it up to no avail. I looked high and low for it. All over my shop, in my garage, in my truck several times (I usually put it on the floor behind the drivers seat). It was LOST for sure. After 3 weeks went by and it didn't show up, I ordered a new one. Great deal because I got another charger and 2 new expensive batteries.
    You guessed it. The week after I got my shiny new drill, my wife (not me, but my wife) was getting something out of the truck and underneath some newspapers behind the passenger side she found my long "lost" drill. I am still eating crow. My friends still ask me if I've found my drill yet!
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw