Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Dark Product?

Laser Dark Product?

We were told of a product called "Laser Dark" but can't find anything on it.

It is supposed to be a product you wipe on engraved wood to highlight the engraving.

Thanks,
    David
    PLS 3.60, CorelDraw X4, Full Adobe Maser Suite (oh yeah), 3ds Max, 6 Dell 690 Work Stations (and a host of other hardware).

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-2.HTML
    Phil
    Red Earth D'Signs

Corel 13, Photoshop CS2, Photograv
    Universal Laser v 460 55w
    Epson 4800 Sub-Lim
    Dyna CNC Plasma/Router Table
    Summa Plotters
    2 Crazy CBR pups that rule the shop!

Blog Entries
    Phil,

That looks like nothing more than a bottle of copier/printer toner.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I've seen this product before. However, I have not used it. Toner works great. You have to be sure the wood is wiped clean and polished like stated from the website or you will have spots of your toner where you don't want it. Also, please note that toner doesn't like to be wet! Make certain your work piece is dry.

It has also been suggested to use black powder paint (e.g., from Harbor Freight). I was unimpressed with the results myself.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I also tried the black powder coat from HF and was unimpressed as well. I'm too cheap to throw it away but it doesn't seem to be good for anything.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I also tried the black powder coat from HF and was unimpressed as well. I'm too cheap to throw it away but it doesn't seem to be good for anything.

Sprinkle it around your fire hearth and tell everyone that you had a roaring big fire last night.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I have never used the product myself.... but was intrigued.
    Phil
    Red Earth D'Signs

Corel 13, Photoshop CS2, Photograv
    Universal Laser v 460 55w
    Epson 4800 Sub-Lim
    Dyna CNC Plasma/Router Table
    Summa Plotters
    2 Crazy CBR pups that rule the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have used it quite a bit for text and it really works well and is way easier than paint filling. If you tried to fill in large areas then it's definately not the stuff to use, it's too hard to get a nice even coat in areas larger than text. The key to using it is to slow down the speed and lower the power. With my 80ips, 30 watt laser I used 20% power and 70% speed. It took a lot of testing to get to a point where the powder melted instead of just getting vaporized.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Phil,

That looks like nothing more than a bottle of copier/printer toner.
    I use toner myself and it doesn't work the way laserdarc claims their product does. According to them, you can "laserbake" their stuff and I just can't get it to work with the toner. I've literrally tried a hundred different settings and I just can't get toner to 'bake"
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I have just brushed toner into the text, there is usually enough oil residue to make the toner stick if you do it right away, there is no need to 'bake' it..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hogarth View Post
    I use toner myself and it doesn't work the way laserdarc claims their product does. According to them, you can "laserbake" their stuff and I just can't get it to work with the toner. I've literrally tried a hundred different settings and I just can't get toner to 'bake"
    Printers merely melt the toner onto paper, so I see nothing special about the LaserDarc stuff... it may take some tweaking of settings, but I have no doubt one can be found that will melt the toner without blasting it away.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    can be found that will melt the toner without blasting it away.
    Pardon my naivety, but what about tossing it in the oven at say 350?
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I have just brushed toner into the text, there is usually enough oil residue to make the toner stick if you do it right away, there is no need to 'bake' it..
    The problem I have with using toner is that you can't put it on thick enough to cover up the grains on large rastered areas. I would prefer if possible to lay it on thick and bake it in, completely hiding the grain. Right now, I can lay it thick enough to cover the grain, but the static cling from the recognition window boxes pulls it out of the engraving and since the majority of my customers are Navy, I have to ensure it's extremely clean before presented to someone in their whites.

I'd also like to bake in order to used color toner. I've tried yellow, but I just can't get it thick enough to show the color.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

At one time the trade mags were promoting using Johnson's wax on wood items before lasering and paint fill. I have found that toner can be made to adhere better to wood if you spray wax polish over the engraved text after brushing the toner in. As has been mentioned, toner is not suitable for large flat recesses. You need a textured background to hold the toner and look good. Without sealing with wax, if the plaque falls face down, the toner will come out.

I have also used the Lazer Darc product and found it does not behave like the toner. It works better than toner for some things but I have not used it extensively as I only had a sample quantity. The advantage of toner is that it is inexpensive and easily available.

Keep in mind that there are now many variations of toner so trying one toner is not necessarily conclusive.

If you want a rougher texture in your text or graphic to hold toner, this can sometimes be achieved by filling the shape/text with grey instead of black. Then when converted to b/w for lasering you get a more stippled effect instead of a flat-bottomed recess.