Thread: Air clearners

Air clearners

I have seen a post about building your own air filter/cleaners, and was thinking of doing the same.
    I have a couple of questions,
    1) about how many CFM do I need to have. I have about 3300 CF in my shop.
    2) can I lay the motor/ housing on its side and draw the air in from the underside of the unit as opposed to the end?
    3) Where do you find cheap shanded pole blowers?

thanks
    Last edited by John Willoughby; 10-28-2008 at 1:33 PM. Reason: I left a 3 off my CF in my shop space

Hi John, I think you must have lost a decimal place since 300CF is only a 6 foot square shop with an 8 foot ceiling.

An HVAC contractor may be a good source for used squirrel cage blowers with built in multi-speed motors.

You can arrange the layout anyway you want, however the blower shaft may need to be horizontal in case it has plain bearings.

Although a dust collector such as you are building has it's place, they are no substitute for collecting dust at the source. Anything that your fan is collecting, your lungs are also. If you already have primary dust collection, please ignore this comment.

regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-28-2008 at 1:02 PM.

I will be picking up my main dust collector Sunday. It is a 2100 CFM unit.

You are right, I left a 3 off my CF in my shop space. I have editted my post to correct it.

The air cleaner is to get any dust that the main unit does not get.

I will check with some HVAC contractors and see what they have.

thanks