Thread: Bandsaw blade wobble

Bandsaw blade wobble

I am new to the forum I have been reading many threads It may be easier just to ask the question. I just received my new Grizzly go457 14 inch bandsaw took a while to set up. I ordered an additional 1/2 inch 4tpi hook blade. when I set it up I got a front to back wobble. The one that came with the saw 3/8ths tracks fine. In reading various threads I have seen various answers from tires to a bad blade. I think it is the blade but I'm not experienced enough to assume anything. Also what blades do ohers use. this saw uses a 106 inch blade which doesn't appear as common as 105. who would be a good source for qualiy blades this size?

Thanks

If your 3/8" blade works fine, I'd suspect a bad weld in the 1/2". Tires could be the issue, but it's a new machine so you're not going to get them "better" by replacing. I do almost everything with a 3/8" X4 PC "timberwolf" band, with a 1/2"X3PC for resaws.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the blade as your 3/8" band is fine. If you want to you could lay the blade on its back on a large enough flat surface to look for deviation but I would say it is already conclusive.

P.s. Another satisfied Timberwolf user here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

John, you can get a front to back wobble if the werd is bad or if there is a bend or kink in the blade -- and it is suprisingly easy to put a kink into a blade while putting it on the saw - Barry

I vote for the blade as the prime suspect as well. I purchased the same saw earlier this year and as great as the Griz bandsaws are, they don't ship with nearly the same quality of blade most WW'ers prefer. Do yourself a big favor and order a decent blade or two. I'm very pleased with the Timberwolf (Suffolk Machine) blades. The Griz OEM blade went in the trash as soon as I made the first cut with a TW - I think before the saw even came to a complete stop.
    - Tom

Blog Entries
    It is probably the blade. Yours sounds like a factory defect. I teach woodshop and students murder bandsaw blades. Bend them all different ways producing different tracking variations. Timberwolf and starret blades are what I found to be the most resilent blades.
    Grizzly and woodworkers supply are where I get my blades, they have them all. Did you get the 1/2" blade from Grizzly? Twice I have had a defective item from grizzly and they sent a new one out no charge and they did not want the defective item. I would give them a call.
    Lastly what is your blade tension at? I am assuming it is 1/2", but maybe try increasing the tension see what happens.

Thanks I will call Grizzly. I put the tension at the recommended level but it seemed loose. also this is a 106 " blade what are good sources for his length. woodworkers goes to 105" and above no 106.
    if you have links it would be great...Ive seen differing views on his forum regarding timberwolf one in particular was swearing off them perhaps they have overcome the problems

thanks for the replies
    John Chase

John,

The fact that the 3/8" blade tracks makes me want to think the 1/2" blade is defective.

As far as the blades that ship with saws....When I ordered my MM-16, the salesman advised me to contact Olson or Timberwolf and order some good blades. He told me up front the ones that ship with the machine weren't the best. He was right.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Funny! Everyone who said the stock blade was no good influenced me to purchase a timberwolf blade when I bought my g0513x2. Got it home, the stock blade tracked fine, the timberwolf blade was welded incorrectly and wasn't coplanar. I ended up with a blade from Iturra that works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    Funny! Everyone who said the stock blade was no good influenced me to purchase a timberwolf blade when I bought my g0513x2. Got it home, the stock blade tracked fine, the timberwolf blade was welded incorrectly...
    Yup, that can happen from any supplier. I got a bad band from Suffolk a while back and I thought they handled the return particularly well. Then I found a local supplier of the same bands, which is much simpler.
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 11-17-2008 at 8:10 AM.

As everyone said, it's probably the blade. But it's easy to distinguish wobble due to blade from that due to wheel wheel. All you need to do is to watch to see if it's always the same part of the blade that moves forward and back (mark it) or if these deviations happen when the wheel is at some position. Turn wheels by hand while you check this. Look for sideways wobble to, which is often caused by a kink in the blade.

I spoke to Grizzly they agree its a bad blade there sending a replacement. I asked them to check it first. I also asked the to send a 3/4 3 hook.
    I called Cyber Woodworking and verified with them they agree. I also ordered a 1/2 3 hook Lenox from them just to be safe.
    John Chase

I got the replacement from Grizzly today the blade didnt move so much as a mm and it didnt tick or make noise.

Thanks for the tips
    John
    John Chase

Good to hear!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.