Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping thin strips on tablesaw

Ripping thin strips on tablesaw

I plan to rip some thin (e.g. 1/4") strips on my Dewalt DW745 contractors saw. Which would be best for this and why? :

1) The GRR-Ripper device, (which I have, but haven't used yet.)

2) Rockler's Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig

Thanks,
    Matt

I have cut thin strips for making thick edge banding approx 1/8". Not sure if you need to use either one of these. Be sure to use a zero clearance insert. I have used kerf kit to do what the Rockler jig you posted a link to- which is set in front of the blade.

hope this helps...

I usually just set the fence slightly wider than the strips I need, then use a home made push stick that supports about 12-15" of length. It also keeps my hands well above the blade. I then use the planner or drum sander to even out the thickness to what I want. I thought about making the Rockler jig, but I guess I like the idea of not moving the fence each time. My method may waste a little wood, but I know I am getting even thickness through out. Sometimes, I'll use the bandsaw instead of the TS which then reduces the amount lost in the cutting process.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

For the ultimate in thin strip ripping jigs, check out this baby on the Aussie Woodworks Forum:

Brian
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-30-2008 at 12:34 PM.

I use the one from Rockler and it works just fine.

Sorry I forget. Rockler also have 20% off on any one item.

1/4" ? Just run them through and use a push stick. No jigs required. 1/4" is not thin strips in my book, below an 1/8" is starting to get thin, and when you hit the 1/16" mark you are now running thin strips.

Blog Entries
    I use a feather board mounted in the slot on the t.s. to do the same thing.

Push stick. Really that's all you need. I'd use two. One to shove it through and one to hold the wood against the fence.
    Make 'em from whatever off cuts you have lying on the floor. You'll chew 'em up and make more.

You have a GRR-Ripper, and have not used it yet? You owe it to yourself to try it. Heck, it beats buying another thing that costs hard earned money.
    Maurice

I use the rockler jig. Think it works great. You set it once and just keep on moving your fence.

For 1/4" strips, just use the Grripper. Much more control than with push sticks. For thinner, the Grripper and/or cut with the thin strip coming off the waste side of the blade. Move the fence incrementally for each cut. Niki's vacuum jig looks like a neat idea too.

I have a GRRIPPER. I love it. One word of advice, though, they work best when you have 2, so you can leapfrog as you push stock longer than 18"ish through.

Downside: you have to remove your blade guard to use it. You can get a microsplitter from Microjig, but there's another $20...

The Grr-Rippers will be fine, especially since you have some already. Once your fence is set to the correct width you don't have to move it so all you pieces will come out the same for sure.

I found this on youtube,it may be helpful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FullQWi2ZwM

chris