Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In search of a new table saw

I have the Ridgid contractor saw and for the money it is hard to beat. It does everything I ever need it to do without complaining. A dedicated rip blade would help with the thick stock but I get by with a 40T combo since I am generally to lazy to switch out blades.

Keep an eye out for a HD deal and you can score some good deals on the saw.

ETA: Also the fence is light but locks solid and straight. The tape works perfect and I have stopped re-checking fence settings and just go off the fence. The dust collection on mine is OK but I ended up enclosing the underside with hardboard and attached a 5" line to it. I have pics in an old post somewhere.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 12-01-2008 at 2:04 PM.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I've currently got a JET Proshop hybrid saw, and was borrowing a friend's Bosch 4000 before that.

Cut quality:
    Both were fine. Neither are 5hp monsters, and a home-brew ZCI and good blade were useful on both. I didn't test on 8/4 australian exotics or anything.

Fences:
    Both fences are stable once locked down. The Proshop's fence glides nicely and is easier to make fine adjustments on, while the Bosch's grabs a bit. Also, the Proshop fence is longer and taller, so a bit easier to work with.

Dust collection:
    Bosch was better, with the dust shroud. Proshop should be okay if your DC system moves enough air (mine is a bit anemic).

Noise:
    The Proshop is a lot better here.

Extras:
    The Bosch splitter and guard are better than the Proshop design. Miter slots on the Proshop were nicer than what was on the Bosch 4000. Haven't used the new design of the 4100. Not sure what to expect there--textured aluminum doesn't seem as ideal, but it might turn out okay. I never got around to building a sled for the Bosch--that might be a good idea.

Table size:
    The Bosch table felt very small to me. I didn't feel that I had enough room in front of the blade to get the wood stable and registered against the fence. This is the main reason I got the Proshop. Both will require extra outfeed support for long rips.

Storage:
    I got the Proshop because of the under-table motor, but it still takes up more space. A bit more depth, and a lot more width. The collapsible table extension on the Bosch is a big help in keeping storage compact. I'd say the normal folding stand is more compact than the wheel unit, but the saw is a bit to lug around, and the wheeled stand is probably the more practical choice if you expect to be pulling the saw out fairly regularly.

Matt

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I can't speak for other saws, but last year for Christmas I bought a Delta contractors saw with the Bies fence and it is more than I will even need. If you set it up properly it is accurate and strong and just right for my small shop.

HI Eric, if I understand correctly, you're not going to be moving this saw from site to site, so I would eliminate the portable saws from the start, since you don't need what they do, which is be light enough to carry.

That then leaves you with three choices for a tablesaw which are in order of capability

- a European slider, which your budget excludes

- a cabinet saw such as the General 650R which is also excluded by your budget

- a contractor saw.

The contractor saws typically have a cast iron table (don't purchase any other table surface type), which is large enough to handle sheet goods.

A folding outfeed table should be your first project to help with the use of, and to allow you to safely cut sheet goods without over reaching and having accidents.

You should pick one with a good fence, and put the saw on a mobile base so you can tuck it out of the way.

Since you're new, let me mention two safety items

1) Always use a guard. If you can't use the guard for what you're doing, either upgrade to an overarm guard, or don't do what you were planning to do. For obvious reasons, if you can't use the guard, the machine isn't designed to perform the operation you're attempting.

2) Same for the splitter or riving knife, if you're ripping you need a splitter or riving knife to help prevent kickback.

The third item is good dust collection, which is connected to the saw to keep your lungs clear of sawdust. The sub micron sized dust is the most dangerous, since it's hard to see, and bypasses all our built in bilogical filters.

Wellcome to the Creek, and good luck and best wishes on your new purchase.

Regards, Rod.

The Ridgid R4511 is available

It's in stock online right now. I haven't seen it in the store yet, but can't wait to get a look at it!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+500744

Eric,

I agree with Neil and other's for the money the Ridgid Contractors saw is a great saw. I have had a Ridgid TS 3650 for over a year and have had very experienced carpenters and woodworkers comment how nice the saw cuts and how they also like the fence. Hope this helps

Joe

I've had a Bosch jobsite saw for a couple of years now. It has served me well. I've had my eye on the Steel City/Zipcode saws for sometime, so I'm definitely interested in the new Ridgid R4511.

The website shows the saw as available online... but the cost of shipping is $452!!! I think I'll wait until the saw shows up in the local stores...

As you consider a TS purchase, beware of the Delta contractor saw series. I've had serious alignment problems with my 36-650 and have read of others having a similar experience.

Eric,
    Make sure you keep an eye on CL. I have a friend who works in the Charlotte area and he boasts about all the CL buys. He just picked up a laguna 18" bandsaw for $650...he also picked up his whole workshop for pretty cheap. If you are in a hurry you may be out of luck but if you can watch it for a little while you may get a great deal.

I am still trying to figure out when ridgid is going to come out with their hybrid because I think that is going to be a great saw for the money...if it is truly $600.

Greg

I've got a loaded Delta Contractor's saw that I'm looking to get rid of.... Incra 5000, linkbelt, board buddies, dado blade, Woodworker 2 thin kerf, stablizer, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm headed to Kentucky in a few weeks. I could eBay it so you can get the cashback...

Just a thought

- jbd in Denver

Rigid hybrid is available

Greg, it is available online now and it is $599. I haven't seen it in the store and right now the shipping puts it over $1000, but I suspect they will hit the stores soon. See my link in the post above.

Todd, Thanks for the link...guess I am just blind tonight. This could be a good buy with the gift cards i always get from home deposit.