Thread: Sandblasting Question

Sandblasting Question

Hello! Any suggestions on sandblasting a turned vessel or bowl, piece? Two friends have given me great tips and I thought I'd be open to asking here as well. Any and all suggestions (pictures) would be greatly appreciated! Jude

Judy!

I'd use the local beach sand for media. There might be something of that consistency at your local builders supply or concrete plant. It has to be dry to work, and the rougher it is the rougher the finish,and the better job it will do. I'm sure you are aware of the the safety concerns. That stuff no matter what media you use will get every where so button up tight, and use your best respirator. Good luck.
    Bob

Robert, thank you! What I have in mind is a closed container, but will be outside and also use protective gear, i.e. respirator and the such, gloves designed for that - thank you for your thoughts! We'll see how it works out! Jude

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? wood does not sandblast all that well. The different density woods between the growth rings erode at different rates and is hard to control. Another option, you can accomplish the same look with a presser washer too if you're just trying to get the different levels of erosion on the growth rings. If you're set on sandblasting, I'd experiment before you decide to try it on a real project. Also, beach sand is a really poor choise of blast material silicon sand fragments into very small particles and causes silicosis. There's much better products that are actually cheaper such as black blast or copper slag (kleen blast) that runs about $6 per 100lb bag. Depending on the result and look, you might try steel shot, walnut husk or any of the myriad of blast medias available.

Mike

You can also try corn cob that would give a lighter abration in the growth rings.

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? wood does not sandblast all that well. The different density woods between the growth rings erode at different rates and is hard to control. Another option, you can accomplish the same look with a presser washer too if you're just trying to get the different levels of erosion on the growth rings. If you're set on sandblasting, I'd experiment before you decide to try it on a real project. Also, beach sand is a really poor choise of blast material silicon sand fragments into very small particles and causes silicosis. There's much better products that are actually cheaper such as black blast or copper slag (kleen blast) that runs about $6 per 100lb bag. Depending on the result and look, you might try steel shot, walnut husk or any of the myriad of blast medias available.

Mike
    Mike,

Don't know what they used for a medium, but there were some extremely beautiful pieces I saw at the exhibit at the Pritchard Museum this week that had been sand blasted. I believe the Malcolm Tibbets piece "A Mighty Wind A Blowin'" might have been sand blasted.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Judy - I have zero experience with sand blasting but have seen a few pieces on the web that really look great because of it. Looking forward to seeing your results!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Most people use a blast cabinet to etch their work pieces. Google sandcarving and you will find all the information you need. Rayzist Photomask Inc. is a good place to start.

Doug Rogers

Hello All, once again thank you for your additional generous remarks and suggestions!

Mike, much as Steve and Ken mentioned (and Ken, that's precisely correct in that Malcolm utilized some sand blasting techniques on "Mighty Wind," with stunning results) I would be interested in trying for some of these effects on turned vessels.

Also appeciate the input from you Mike, Tom, and Doug on various media available. Thanks for the encouragement, Steve, and we'll give it a whirl and see what happens and have some fun along the way!!!

Thanks, guys!!!

Jude
    Last edited by Judy Kingery; 10-31-2008 at 2:35 PM.

I believe pipemakers use this approach quite a bit and they may be able to provide you with useful information.

Back again!

In the book "shapes" the auther displays several pieces of Ash that were sand blasted. the rexture that was displayed was the removal of the open rained portion of the wood, leaving the non porous portion. this leaves a rather striking finish to the piece. I wouldn't try it on close grained wood, but I've seen lots of things that I wouldn't have tried.
    Good luck with your work, and am anxsiously waiting for pix.
    Bob

Bob, thank you indeed. Due to your email, I dug around and found two smaller Ash blanks I have and that'll be my first pick with which to start then! I've got two pieces I need to finish prior to my 'experiment,' but after that (hopefully within the next week or so) I'll give that a whirl with turning an Ash piece and sand blasting it. Again, I appreciate your encouragement and will see if I can post a pic then in say oh a week or so. Thanks, Bob!

Jude