Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dado blade question

I've read great things about the Freud dial-a-width dado, but be aware that in order to get the full width capacity of this dado set you need to have an arbor of a certain length. I believe the Freud site has info on this.

I have the Freud SD508 8" Super Dado which is a huge improvement over the "vintage" wobble dial-a-dado that I used for years. The SD508 cuts are clean, flat, and accurate. I still continue to use the old wobble dado for rough plowing on my equally vintage Craftsman radial arm.

I found it difficult and time consuming to switch between the regular TS blade and the SD508 so I dedicated a Ridgid TS2412 to dado use and wheel it out when I need it.
    “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer

I use a Freud SD508 and am happy with the cuts and the infrequent need for resharpening. You could save a little money and get the SD506 - a 6" dado set will cut deep enough for most of us. If you are a hobby woodworker, my advice is to buy a "good" dado set, not a lower end (lower tooth count) and not the best, most expensive available. Look into the cost of sharpening a dado set before you invest in a lower quality set that needs sharpening frequently.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Tony - If you end up going for the SD208, Router Bit World is currently having a 25% Fall sale.

"The Coupon Code is: fall2008. 25% off EVERYTHING IN THE STORE. Every Dado Blade, Saw Blade, Jig Saw Blade, Router Bit, Bearing, Shaper Cutter.... EVERYTHING. Hurry! This great offer expires at midnight on 14Nov2008."

That'd put the 208 to your door for about $72.

thanks for that. they also have the sd608. your post says the 25% is good on everything.

does the sd608 fit on the grizzly g1023slx??

thanks
    tony

As others have said. When you're running a dado blade your removing a much higher wood content in each pass requiring more HP. The larger diameter will provide more leverage/torque by the wood to slow down the blade. You will have more mass and tip speed, but the leverage will also be increased.

How deep a dado do you want to cut? I don't think I've ever heard of a dado greater than 1". I've had the occasional 2-3" rabbit but those are rare and I don't think I would want to run a dado blade up 3" to make it (I used a router table for the cut).

I would save the $$$. Check out the Deals and Discount section for a closeout bargain from Peachtree on a Freud Dial a width blade. I think it's 6", but it was also $100 off. If you don't like you could easily sell it off for something else.

i want to cut dados 1.5" deep for my upcoming project.

the deal at peachtree is not vaild anymore, they are sold out. tried to get that on friday and called them.

tony

has anyone used the freud sd608 on a grizzly 1023?

thanks
    tony

Tony, I have the SD606 on my 1023 - works fine. I imagine it is the same as the 608 except for the diameter of the blades.