Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Small Brass Hammer Tutorial

Making a Small Brass Hammer Tutorial

I recently wrote a tutorial on making a small brass hammer, like the ones shown in the pictures. You can access the tutorial here.

You can make a hammer like these for less than $10. Glen Drake sells some like this for quite a bit more.

Chester toolworks sells some very nice plane hammers, also (just to put in a plug)

Mike

[You can get the 7/8" brass from Online Metals. If you want a different size head, look here.]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-31-2008 at 8:20 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Great Mike.

I always enjoy when you share your experience and techniques.

thanks,

jim

While I am missing a tool or two your tutorial was a great read and a great idea.
    Seems like the perfect project for a class. Cheap, quick and the finished product is very useful (and cool)
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

A nice project and a nice tutorial. Someday when I get a lathe . . . .

Thanks,
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Nicely done Mike.

The brass work can be done in a drill press, for those (like me) that aren't lathe-equipped. Some creativity would still be required for the handle, though....

-TH

Nice tutorial Mike. For some strange reason many of the steps seem familiar to me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Nice tutorial Mike. For some strange reason many of the steps seem familiar to me.
    Ah, yes, Dave. But you don't make all the mistakes like I make.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the nice tutorial -- I'm going to give it a try. I've been using a wooden mallet for adjusting my planes, but it's a bit heavy to produce consistent results. Sure, I could buy one, but my shopping list is always an order of magnitude longer then my budget!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Nicely done Mike.

The brass work can be done in a drill press, for those (like me) that aren't lathe-equipped. Some creativity would still be required for the handle, though....

-TH
    Good idea about using the drill press, brother Henderson. For the handle on my first hammer, I roughed it out on a bandsaw and then smoothed it on a stationary belt sander. Finished sanding by hand. I borrowed one of those tenon cutters from a friend to cut the tenon at the top of the handle.

The problem is getting the handle symmetrical - it's real easy to do more on one side than the other. But if you were going to make a curved handle like on the Glen Drake hammers, that might be the best approach.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-31-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Excellent tutorial, very generous of you to package it up so neatly and share it here.
    Many thanks!

Michael

11. Wow, great tutorial Mike...between this and the carving you have been quite prolific as of late.
    I would not give up my Chester ToolWorks nor my Drake hammer, but I would love to make a couple of my own....
    I may have missed it but what did you use to cut the decorative grooves?
    I really enjoy your work, it is very inspiring.
    MSH
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hammers View Post
    Wow, great tutorial Mike...between this and the carving you have been quite prolific as of late.
    I would not give up my Chester ToolWorks nor my Drake hammer, but I would love to make a couple of my own....
    I may have missed it but what did you use to cut the decorative grooves?
    I really enjoy your work, it is very inspiring.
    MSH
    Thanks for your kind words about the tutorial, Michael. I used my parting tool turned sidewards to cut the grooves. My parting tool is a V-shaped tool - to use it as a parting tool, you hold the tool upright (you'd see the V from the side). To cut the grooves on the brass I hold the V-tool so you see the V looking downward on it and push it into the brass such that the top edge contacts the brass. It cuts the brass easily.

I do the same when cutting decorative grooves on wood - for example when I make a chisel handle or a mallet I often cut similar decorative grooves.

The grooves on the brass are deeper than I'd like because I was using a chuck and couldn't see one side while I was cutting the other side. Of course, I could have measured and marked the locations, but I'm more of a "this looks good" turner and make my decorative marks by eye. However, when I took it out of the chuck, I found one side was "wider" than the other. So then I had to go deeper to even them out.

My advice would be to mark the locations and just cut a very mild set of grooves. I think it would look better.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sharing, I don't thank posters often enough. Very nice read, nicely done. I have the lathe, the tools... I just don't have the wood planes to use it on

I do have some dado planes (wood) and I plan to make my own someday.

I guess this is an excuse to get some .

/p

Always figured I wasn't talented enough to own a lathe...

But it looks like even I could actually do that!

hmmm -

- jbd in Denver

Nice tut, thanks for posting. Lars