Thread: "Weekend Doin's"-"Halloween Edition"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"-"Halloween Edition"

Friday, October 31st, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Here it is, "All Hallows Eve". What is your costume for the day? Seems hard to believe it's less than 4 weeks till Thanksgiving and [shudder] only about 8 weeks before the fat guy in the red suit shows up.

We are experiencing "Indian Summer" here. Sunny with temps in the 60's, although we are supposed to get more seasonal next week. Already had some snow showers. Thankfully nothing stuck, although I did get the snowthrower on the JD this week, so I'm ready now.

I need to clean up the shop a bit this weekend and maybe get some more done on the flag display cases I'm making for friends. I'm pretty much squared away outside now for winter. One more thing is to get fencing around some trees to keep the deer from making them sticks over the winter.

How's things going in your part of the world? Big plans for tonight? Big plans for the weekend? Whatever you're up to, I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. Have a good weekend all.

Please be SAFE!

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

The girls are doing the Halloween thing tonight, so we'll be looking for a safe place to lock up all the sugar...

Saturday is horsie things for a good chunk of the day. I'm not sure what else will be on the card for the weekend yet, but I may be working on some frames to get some of the wall hangings up finally, etc. There are probably a bunch of things I should be doing outside this weekend, but I've been sick for a few days and don't want to push my luck on that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Answer the door tonight.

This weekend....turn some wheels.......work on a HF.........

Leaves are just starting to turn and a few are falling.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We are blessed with not having the "answer the door" problem here, Ken...this is not a walkable neighborhood and there are no kids nearby, other than our next door neighbor's grandson whom we "treat" early in the evening. It got so bad at my previous residence with scores of un-costumed teenagers showing up at all hours, that I just "wasn't home" on 31 October ever! For our girls, we drive to a nearby development so they can walk a bit and collect their sweets...easy since as mentioned, we don't need to be home!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Living in a large metropolitan neighbourhood, we will be answering the door tonight.

My wife Diann loves Halloween, and has gone to work today in costume.

This weekend I have a vintage motorcycle annual meeting to attend, as well as helping my daughter Michelle work on her desk project.

it's kind of funny to be the occasional helper as she uses the machinery and tools. Last weekend I was tail ender for the planer!

Have a great weekend folks.............Regards, Rod.

We're taking LOMLjr to my parent's then my MIL's tonight. She'll be trick-or-treating in her neighborhood and then spending the night. Tomorrow we are helping my mom make applesauce. I need to get at least a few hours in on the dresser this weekend too. I got it started this week--legs are milled as well as the rails for the sides and front bottom. Hopefully our new WISP service is going to be installed too. They told me today or Sunday when I talked to them on Monday--haven't heard from back so I'm guessing Sunday.

Jim,

It's interesting here. We live in the typical suburban, lot to lot housing development and yet we typically don't have many trick-or-treaters. On a busy year maybe 20-25. I was teasing my wife last year about being a tightwad when it came to Halloween. She went out this year and bought a fairly sizeable amount of candy and pre-packaged popcorn balls. She made 30+ separate bags with a nice but not overly sized selection of candies and fruit and a popcorn ball. Hope someone shows up to get them as I am not a candy freak.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This Is my first post in this thread. I have enjoyed reading them. We will be answering the door tonight , and I need to fix a zipper on my officials equipment bag. Tomorrow will bring some shopping with LOML in the morning, and shop time in the afternoon, working on 14 serving trays for Christmas gifts. Sunday is church day!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Tonight we'll lock the front gate. Trick-or-treaters cause all kinds of havoc with the dogs when they ring the doorbell. There aren't very many children in our neighborhood anymore anyway. Many of the "kids" who do show up in our neighborhood are transported in from other places.

The rest of the weekend, as with last weekend, will be devoted to dog shows. Hopefully the prediction of some rain will hold off until late Sunday afternoon because the shows are outside at a park.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

We don't get any where we live now, and not many where we used to live. But LOML used to dress the 2 dogs we lost this summer up for the kids that did come. Can't remember what she did to Cory, but Dalton always had on one of my old oxford cloth shirts and a tie. The dogs had a blast.
    We've already had a dog dressed up this am here on the service drive.

Otherwise, I'm ripping out pink carpet, scraping the floor prepping for the tiling, and hanging a ceiling fan. If I get done with these tasks in time, I might get some tile laid. We'll see. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

dinner with the family, then probably trying to get some tenons cut off for a door tomorrow that was mostly cut today (how is it that they're always 1/8 too long? ). outta plane the panel boards down but meh, probably won't get around to it.

Working... I am on nights for the next 4 or 5 weeks so I am spending my Halloween at work.

The wife is doing a thing at church so there is no one home to give out anything and she did get a lot this year, so I guess I will get to eat it.

The this weekend I have 35 spools to make, 9 inch with a 5 inch core, not hard just takes time.

Today I got two of my 618 D-handle routers setup with semi-permanent bits: CMT Grand Rabbet in one and Whiteside 23/32 undersize plywood bit in another.

Then I got the carcuses of my play kitchen cabinets rabbeted.

We then made the rounds for Halloween. Megan was not about wearing her costume this year - so she became a ninja in her black turtkeneck longsleve onsie and black pants. There was supposed to be a bee costume over those.

Megan is spending the weekend with grandma. Angela works 8am-8pm tomorrow. I get a ME day in the shop (with some sleeping in) and doing a Hungarian Sausage dinner with a couple buddies.

For Saturday and Sunday teh WW plans are to get the dados done, get the sanding done and the carcuses put together. Also get some door and drawer fronts into the JLT panel rack to start drying.

May also pickup Fallout 3 for the Xbox360.

Winter's comin...

This will probably be our last relatively warm Saturday before winter rains and generally cool-to-cold days sets in. It's supposed to be around 70 here in Lake Arrowhead today, and I have a back deck that still needs more water protective/stain on it. Tomorrow, it's supposed to rain, and then the days start topping out in the 50s...nights in the 30s. Still have some wood to split and stack, but that will probably wait until next weekend. As the days get cooler, however, I may get a bit more shop time if I can't do yard-type projects.

Lon