Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My circle cutting jig for the bandsaw.

My circle cutting jig for the bandsaw.

I have a project that popped up and not a lot of time to get it done. I have to make 35 spools that are 9 inches in diameter.

So I need a circle cutting jig for the band saw.

About 8 months about I ordered some bits from PriceCutter and at the time they had a large T track on sale ($7.00), I didn't need it but for the price I thought I may need it some day, well this was the day.
    http://pricecutter.com/miter-gauge-t.../p/415%2D9242/

I used 3/4 MDF and 1/2 MDF, I just didn't have enough 1/2 for it all, if I was doing it again I would just us the 1/2 in.

I can cut from noting to 42 inches and everywhere in between. I have 2 different types of pins, one for holes in the item and one is a sharp point. The pins are just 1/4-20 set screws. The one was ground down to a point and the other one is just a long set screw.

I can lock the sliding bar anywhere I like along the length of the T track just by moving the lock screw to a different hole. There are 1/4-20 holes about every 4 3/4 inches along the T track bar which makes it nice to set the radius of the circle.

The whole thing mounts to the table of the bandsaw with 2 Quick-Set clamps. I have blocks on all sides so it mounts right were it should every time.

PA317341.jpg PA317342.jpg

PA317343.jpg PA317345.jpg

PA317340.jpg

Thumbs up

That's a really nice jig, Bill! I remember watching an episode of New Yankee Workshop when Norm built one similar, and I thought it would be nice to use T-Track. It looks like you're a few steps ahead of me!

Very nice jig Bill. I really like the way you used the T-track bar. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rassat View Post
    That's a really nice jig, Bill! I remember watching an episode of New Yankee Workshop when Norm built one similar, and I thought it would be nice to use T-Track. It looks like you're a few steps ahead of me!
    Thanks.....

I watch that one also, I said I was going to make on someday and then this project came up so I had to.

It is a little heavy but I can make another one really easy, they are not had to make at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Very nice jig Bill. I really like the way you used the T-track bar. Thanks for sharing.

The T track is called miter track and it is wider then most normal T tracks and for this app it works great. And being about to use 1/4-20 set screws makes it that much easier to set up.

I cut the sides for 10 spools this afternoon and it really works great.

That is a very clever way to adjust it. I too like Norm's design, but you have a very good idea.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Bill,
    Thanks for sharing. I also saw the NYW episode and thought it would be nice to have a jig ready to cut circles if and when I had the need. Your jig appears to be a perfect solution.
    “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer

Bill,

I'm confused as to what holds the miter track in place to keep it from jumping out of the groove.

Do you have any end shots of this?

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Bill,

I'm confused as to what holds the miter track in place to keep it from jumping out of the groove.

Do you have any end shots of this?

Thanks,
    Jim
    It is just held in with screws like you would any T track.

That's sweet. I had a much cruder one that fit my old Jet BS but let it go with the saw. Been meaning to get one made to fit my MM16 and I'm going to keep this thread in mind when I do. Muchos gracias.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rassat View Post
    Yeah, but Norm drilled holes in his cast iron for that didn't he?

I like this toggle clamp solution.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Excellent

I was just looking to build a new circle cutting jig and this one fits the bill. Hope you don't mind if I copy most of it. I would really love to see more pics.

Nice design Bill! I really like the way you have built in flexibility in the jog. Makes it so much more useful. I wil save this thread for a future date.

Thanks for showing,

Jim

Nice jig Bill. Also love that jessem fence on your router table. I have that also. Can't beat it. Where did you get that track system at, I have done some searches at rockler and such, with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    I was just looking to build a new circle cutting jig and this one fits the bill. Hope you don't mind if I copy most of it. I would really love to see more pics.
    Tell me what you want to see and I will shot it..

There really is not a lot to the thing.