Thread: Tool dilemma, looking for feedback!

Tool dilemma, looking for feedback!

I'm calling out to SMC for some help on a bunch of ideas my brain has been tossing around (MS cashback is just fuel on the fire!). Obviously less money spent is nice, but I want to keep a long term outlook.

My number one issue in the shop right now is getting rough lumber to S4. For background I picked up a cheap 3/4 HP Enco 6" jointer this summer but haven't gotten to use it (3 weeks till 240V for my DC). I have no planer and no space so anything would have to be rolled out for use.

Planer Options
    Option 1) I have been offered by a good friend of my inlaws first rights to a large 1980s Craftsman planer for probably $100-$200. It is in pristine condition, is large (couple hundred pounds), takes 240V, it looks a lot like this one . The low price is 'cause he just wants to get a little something for it, he has already given me over 100 BF of maple/walnut/cherry for free.

Option 2) Pickup a used or new lunchbox planer. A new one would cost from $300 up to $600 for a DW735. Been trolling CL and your standard 12" or 13" delta/rigids range from $100-$300 based on condition. Obviously lunchbox would take up a lot less space but I worry about the condition of getting a used one.

So the tradeoff here is size & cost. Option one is cheaper and I would wager in much better condition than any used lunchbox and potentially some of the cheap new ones. The cost difference would impact what I do for below...

Jointer
    This is my bigger struggle because I've been browsing the Grizzly lineup. I have the Enco 6" which I could probably sell for $100-$200 and then invest a little more for a brand new unit. Any jointer would have to be rolled into position to use and I have 78" between the wall and the light switch/outlet next to the garage door (I'm rewiring so can move this up giving me 90" to the garage door). I also want to make the best tradeoff for future proofing.

Here is a list of all jointers that fall under my consideration. The price is assuming Grizzly will list any model from their website on ebay at current sale price and I can apply 25% MS cashback and 10% ebay coupon. If it doesn't have a stand I'd have to buy/build one adding $20 to $60.

G0654 - 6" x 46" ($290)
    G0452 - 6" x 46" ($310)
    G0604 - 6" x 56" Parrallelogram ($405)
    G0452Z - 6" x 46" w/ Spiral Cutterhead ($450)
    G0604X - 6" x 56" Parallelogram, larger motor ($470)
    G0586 - 8" x 75" no mobile stand ($560)
    G0604ZX - 6" x 55" w/ Spiral Cutterhead ($610)
    G0490 - 8" x 76" Parrallelogram ($650)
    G0593 - 8" x 75" w/Spiral Cutterhead, no mobile stand ($840)
    G0490X - 8" 76" w/Spiral Cutterhead ($920)

I've seen some good reviews on the 12" jointer/planer combos (Jet/Grizzly), but $2K is a ways off and that is without adding a spiral head. And if it breaks, both tools are out of comission. For reference I'm an all around woodworker; mostly furniture/cabinetry but I want to get into the delicate work like boxes.

So I really have 3 options:

Option 1) Sell my jointer, do not buy a planer, buy only S4 (find someone to handle my current piles), and save up for a 12" combo machine in a few years.

Option 2) Keep my jointer, buy a planer, and wait even longer for a 12" combo machine. I'd just have to live with the results and spend more time in maintenance.

Option 3) Buy one of the Grizzly jointers (which one and why? and what planer to accompany it?)

Obviously any money spent here is less money elsewhere. My next issue is my Delta 12" BS to run right (hoping some Suffolk blades and a V-belt will fix that, but still not enough horse to resaw much). I have a good TS/DC/router/shaper, but have no sanding stations/drill press and am thin on handtools/clamps/router bits.

So please look at my options and give me your honest feedback! My feelings won't get hurt, if you think I'm being too picky and chasing after a new shiny thing, tell me!

Thanks everyone!

-Scott
    Last edited by Scott Wigginton; 10-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Consider this personal opinion only. I would jump all over that Craftsman planer/molder before he changes his mind. The older Craftsman stuff was of good, heavy duty quality before they decided to cheapen their offerings.
    If you already have a 6" jointer, you will be good to go. I built a lot of stuff using just a Jet 6" jointer and Parks 12" planer, before getting a 12" combo machine(for space reasons).

Jointers: if it can be fit in at all, I would spring for one of the G0490 series as many here have them and rave accordingly.

If space is a problem, then consider the G0604X, built much like the G0490. Three times in the last year Grizzly has offered them on ebay as "paint blemished" items, with $50-$75 off the list price. The second time around I went for it with 25% cashback (I just can't fit an 8" in my present shop). There is absolutely no paint blemish I have been able to find (unless a tiny bit of overspray on the end of the infeed table counts), and it works great. The somewhat longer tables and 4 knives are good to have, the X series has a larger motor, and it was aligned perfectly right out of the box. No negatives at all to this point, a far cry from the old Craftsman it replaced.

Planers: grab that Craftsman right now.

S4 lumber: IMO not a real option if you are serious about the hobby/vocation, unless you have a handy source for milling to your exact spec at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Gary McKown; 10-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary McKown View Post
    S4 lumber: IMO not a real option if you are serious about the hobby/vocation, unless you have a handy source for milling to your exact spec at a reasonable price.
    That was tounge in cheek!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary McKown View Post
    ... consider the G0604X, built much like the G0490 ... the X series has a larger motor
    Followup, is the Parallelogram base better than the Spiral cutterhead? (G0452Z). And does the half horse make that much of a diff for 6" (would be a $65 upcharge due to the sale price on the 0604)

Thanks for the inputs so far, always looking for more.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

A variation on option 2 would be my preferred path forward.

Based on the difference in price between rough and surfaced and depending on the number of projects you do per year, the cost of the planer may be made up pretty quickly.

If the planer's current owner and/or your friend would not be insulted, I would jump on the planer now and keep the jointer for now. Then sell off both the planer and jointer when you get close to saving the $$$ for the combo machine.

On option 1, I would not sell my jointer before I was ready to get another. This from someone whom doesn't have one and has a rapidly growing need for one. This also has the benefit of saving some money and allowing for S2 or S3 lumber.

Question for you on option 3: You have a 6" jointer (granted an Enco), but why are you looking at getting another 6" jointer? Personally, any upgrade I would do to a current machine would not only be in quality (ie., better name/manufacturer) but also quantity (ie., bigger, longer, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Question for you on option 3: You have a 6" jointer (granted an Enco), but why are you looking at getting another 6" jointer? Personally, any upgrade I would do to a current machine would not only be in quality (ie., better name/manufacturer) but also quantity (ie., bigger, longer, etc.)
    That is why I asked for suggestions, other than quality (Enco was also made in Taiwan), there are several areas for quantity: better motor, larger cutter, spiral cutterhead, parallelogram body.

Here is one of the scenarios that kept bouncing in my head. Even if they made a SHELIX for the Enco for $350, I can get a brand new Grizzly with Spiral for $450 minus what I would get off CL for the Enco. That being the lowest common denominator.

At that point it becomes a slippery slope of "what's enough?", you then can upgrade to a Parallelogram for another $160 and then you can make the jump to 8", and then you're at the $900 jointer which is halfway to the combo machine.

Followup, is the Parallelogram base better than the Spiral cutterhead? (G0452Z). And does the half horse make that much of a diff for 6" (would be a $65 upcharge due to the sale price on the 0604)
    $65 unless you can find one of the "paint blemish" 0604X machines, but I think the larger motor (and longer tables) would be worth it. I don't know anything first-hand about the G0452Z, but it has a smaller diameter cutterhead and appears to be less beefy than the G0604. As my machine came perfectly aligned, I don't really know whether the parallelogram design is worth much difference - others have said that it is. To me, spirals would not add much unless the planer also had same - I make virtually all finish face cuts on the planer (including the first-flattened face, to even out the amount removed from each face).

Don't get another jointer unless A) then Enco breaks B) you are upgrading to an 8". Otherwise, it sounds like you're spending money just to spend money.

Don't forget to include shipping costs in your estimate.

I'd snatch up that c-man planer ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Don't get another jointer unless A) then Enco breaks B) you are upgrading to an 8". Otherwise, it sounds like you're spending money just to spend money.

Don't forget to include shipping costs in your estimate..
    Shipping is included in those numbers. My primary thought on an upgrade was to get a Spiral cutter head or increase to 8". I just included the entire gamut of jointers for comparison.

I have exclusive first rights to the planer, I have to turn it down before he'd sell it, but to be sure I've already let him know I'll be taking it.

I've decided to pickup one of the grizzly's but I was so tired last night I crashed soon as we got the girls down and missed the 10% off ebay coupon, ARG!

I was pretty much decided on getting the 0490 which woulda been $650, now it'll be $730 (Never lost $75 over sleep before )

However I did notice another option, the 0604XB (paint blemish) listed at $450 ($430 shipped now). Is the extra 2" and large motor worth $300? (or the cost of a Byrd SHELIX for the 0604 and an extra $50)

My last option would be to pickup four $500 amazon gift cards at around 80% cost and then pickup the Grizzly or Jet 12" jointer/planer combo for $1600? (however I noticed they don't have wheels which'd cause a lot of problems for my shop layout)

Cashback shows 25% for me, searching on "grizzly jointer" It seems like whenever cashback "stops" working, you just have to keep trying, using different search terms or wait a month for the big discount to reappear.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95292 has some other possible search terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Barclay View Post
    Cashback shows 25% for me, searching on "grizzly jointer" It seems like whenever cashback "stops" working, you just have to keep trying, using different search terms or wait a month for the big discount to reappear.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95292 has some other possible search terms.
    I was referring to the 10% off coupon through Ebay which expired 10/31. Still planning to get the 25% off, but an extra 10% off woulda been even better!