Thread: My wanna-be Gloat.

My wanna-be Gloat.

I don't run across deals like some of you on Craigslist etc... but here is my possible gloat.

I live on a large creek. If this were a fishing site I'd tell you about the trout and bass infestation, but we'll stick to wood. The creek floods 2 or 3 times a year. If you look at the picture below you will notice my house, a small creek, an island then the main creek. When it floods, tons and tons of debris come down the creek including a good variety of trees. Because of the curve of the creek, the trees on the island trap any trees that come washing down.

After the flood, I usually go down and check out what the creek brought me. I consider this a wanna-be gloat because in addition to the good trees, I get tons and tons of brush, rotten trees, boats, docks, pallets, tires you name it that I have to deal with.

Picture below is a good example. Look at the size of the Dozer. Now check out the size of the big punky pine laying down in front of it. That's already cut in 2 parts. For scale, I had to cut the tree with a 18" chainsaw, from both sides, and still had to break it with the Dozer.

The usable logs, I still have to cut up and carry up to our mill with a Skid-loader. Then I have to skim most of the bark away because of the dirt and muck.

Now for the good part. Over the last few years we have gotten, 2 big Red Oaks, a good sized Cherry, a few Ash, plus a good number of pine, and sycamore. Here's a few shots of the spoils:

In the first and third picture anyone care to take a stab at what caused the large, dark ring? I think the answer will surprise some people....as it surprised me.

I would guess iron inclusion during the growth process causing that ring.

wood gloat

Ross, An inclusion would be my guess too. Should make an interesting piece as long as it is tight enough to stay attached. Nice gloat. Happy Woodworking, Craig

It did not stay together. The pieces in the back of the truck on the left show the splits....

What does that mean - an iron inclusion? Is that what caused the dark ring?

Just having your own Bulldozer is enough to justify a Gloat.

Forrest fire.
    Rick Mellin

Wood delivered by the hand of God.

I'm impressed.