Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Cosman's Dovetail marker

Rob Cosman's Dovetail marker

After watching Rob Cosman's video on his 3 1/2 minute dovetail, I am hooked. One device he used was called a 'dovetail marker' which I suppose has the 1:6 and/or 1:8 angle for marking the sides.

Does anyone have plans on how to make one?

The video was at:
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/

Thanks!
    Rob

It's really just two pieces of wood glued together in the shape of a "T". The top piece is a square and the bottom piece has the proper angles sawn into each side. I think he sets his bottom piece into a shallow dado in the top piece for a little extra support, though, I'm not sure it would really matter. I believe he sells them on his website as well if you don't want to make one.

FWIW I use a sliding bevel, which works fine. I've never really felt the need for a special marking jig just for dovetails. Using the sliding bevel also lets you set the tail angle to whatever you want and not be fixed at whatever the two angles on the marking jig are. In addition, the downside to these jigs is that they are designed for marking a single piece at a time. If you gang cut your tail boards, the top part of the jig won't be long enough to square across the ends of multiple boards simultaneously, requiring you to use a separate square anyway.

Harris Tools offers a set of markers that are similar in form and function. Looks like the major difference (advantage?) is that they use brass where Rob's use birch or maple to register the mark. The brass might be sturdier if you ever use a knife instead of a pen for marking. I got a pair from Highland Hardware a while back. They're real handy. Can't find them on Highland's site this morning. Here they are at Harris' site: http://www.harristools.com/catalog/p...5bc6808df0b82a

Quote Originally Posted by rob mason View Post
    After watching Rob Cosman's video on his 3 1/2 minute dovetail, I am hooked. One device he used was called a 'dovetail marker' which I suppose has the 1:6 and/or 1:8 angle for marking the sides.

Does anyone have plans on how to make one?

The video was at:
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/

Thanks!
    Rob
    You can easily make a dovetail marker.. He is quick!

see this for the marker...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/m...ls/htDove1.asp
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Rob,

I found the link, but in a different location. Pretty amazing video!

If you select the make-your-own route, you may be interested in reading Christopher Schwarz' Dogmatic About Dovetail Angles. He has pretty much settled on 14° for his dovetails, based on looks.

Last edited by Al Navas; 11-02-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

This won't help you with making one if that's what you want to do, but Rob sells them on his website and Lie Nielsen (for whom Rob used to be a representative) sells a version of this style dovetail marker as well.

Excellent info guys.

I sure would like to make my own as I have found in my research that 14deg seems to be the most pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for the tips - I am really getting stoked about hand cut dovetails! I have tons of scrap cherry and walnut that I need to build something with. I will practice on pine first though until I get comfortable.

Watching the competetion for the 3.5min dovetail between Cosman and Klaus(?) should really inspire some folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    It's really just two pieces of wood glued together in the shape of a "T". The top piece is a square and the bottom piece has the proper angles sawn into each side. I think he sets his bottom piece into a shallow dado in the top piece for a little extra support, though, I'm not sure it would really matter. I believe he sells them on his website as well if you don't want to make one.

FWIW I use a sliding bevel, which works fine. I've never really felt the need for a special marking jig just for dovetails. Using the sliding bevel also lets you set the tail angle to whatever you want and not be fixed at whatever the two angles on the marking jig are. In addition, the downside to these jigs is that they are designed for marking a single piece at a time. If you gang cut your tail boards, the top part of the jig won't be long enough to square across the ends of multiple boards simultaneously, requiring you to use a separate square anyway.
    ah - I just caught what you are saying and I have to ask the question - do you guys gang-cut your pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by rob mason View Post
    ah - I just caught what you are saying and I have to ask the question - do you guys gang-cut your pieces?
    When I can I do. It saves a bunch of time versus marking and cutting each tail board separately. Another benefit besides sawing fewer times is that you only mark the board face that is facing out, saving you marking time as well.

He used to use the LN dovetail marker:

(linky pic)

Looks like the same gage to me, but hard to tell for certain in the video. You can make one of these pretty easy, or just buy one from LN.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Looks like the same gage to me, but hard to tell for certain in the video. You can make one of these pretty easy, or just buy one from LN.
    Or you can buy Rob's direct from him on his website.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Or you can buy Rob's direct from him on his website.
    Yeah, I see Rob has a slightly similar one on his site.

I guess he's gone on to bigger and better things than when he leveraged LN for success.

I like the looks of the LN better, although it costs more.

I use the Veritas markers, but others could buy them direct from Cosman's website I guess.

Here's what I use:

--
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

I'll provide another "dissenting" voice alongside Robert's. Like Robert, I use a sliding bevel.

I have a few slopes (1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 1:8, 1:9) that I "permenantly" marked into my benchtop that I set the sliding bevel to. I use a double square to extend the lines on the appropriate edges/faces of the to-be DT'd pieces (depends on whether I do tails or pins first). And like Robert, for like-sized drawers or carcass sides, I gang cut them.

fwiw, the design of the Cosman/LN/etc DT markers is an old one. If I recall, one of Wearing's books shows how to make one, but they are dead simple to make and one can see from a picture what they can be made like.

Oh...y'all do know how to layout for the slope of the desired markers, right? Easiest way is to use a sliding bevel gauge and a square...Ironic, isn't it?

Here are what the slopes mean expressed as degrees of angle.
    Slope/Angle
    1:9 / 6.34
    1:8 / 7.13
    1:7 / 8.13
    1:6 / 9.46
    1:5 / 11.31
    1:4 / 14.04
    1:3 / 18.43

At least if I still know how to use Excel...

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    I guess he's gone on to bigger and better things than when he leveraged LN for success.

I like the looks of the LN better, although it costs more.

I use the Veritas markers, but others could buy them direct from Cosman's website I guess.
    Hi Alan,

I think the relationship was symboitic, at least up here in Canada. Rob's know how, combined with LN's quality tools made for an impressive one-two punch in sales.

LNs look better, cost more.... and BCT look even better and cost even more. I use the LV markers myself, or as Mike pointed out a sliding bevel.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Mike,

Bevel works well, no doubt. I have one and use it but will most often grab for the LV markers, I like to have the flat on top, angle on the front when marking. I layout my dovetails like Cosman, so use dividers and poke a hole, which I put the pen in, that allows one to flush up the marker with the mark which the pen point rests in. This works well for me, and I get both marks at once.

With a bevel I get the front angle, but not the 90 degree across the top, so the marker lets me get both sides to be marked at once.

Funny though, I have a board in my shop which I use, and it has the different bevel degrees on it, so I can take my bevel and set it for 1:8, 1:7, 1:6, etc...and I have to admit I got that idea from your shop when it was at your house, you had showed me those markings on your bench.

Truth be told I don't use my board as much as I had thought, just a matter of how I work and tend to grab the LV markers. If I had the LN I would probably grab it, or make one. There was an identical one pic'd in the Joyce book which Alan Peters revised, as I recall. That is most likely where Rob Cosman saw it, maybe not. He is certainly a big Alan Peters disciple and advocate.
    --