Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool - TS55 or TS75 and why

Festool - TS55 or TS75 and why

The title pretty much sums it up. Which one would you buy and why? I might make the trip today, but just can't decide which one.

Is there really any reason not to get the larger one to begin with? Seems I read a lot of people talk about getting the larger size later, only because they didn't think they could afford it to begin with. Look at your lists of projects planned for now, and ones you would like to attempt in the future, then look at your budget, let those be more of your guides.

Hello,
    I have the TS55EQ.

I'm 25(yes)/75(no) about if I'd ever go with the 75/should have gone with it in the first place.
    Probably no.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have both and use them often. For sheet stuff I grab the 55 every time. It is more compact, lighter and has plenty of power for all sheet material. For straight lining 8/4 hardwood or 2X material, the 55 is underpowered and just lacks the cutting depth for full 2" cuts. The 55 is an essential tool I would never be without. The 75 is a luxury that is very nice to have. You can straight line up to 1 7/8 stock with the 55 but it is underpowered and slow.

Dan

Consider your usage.
    I have the TS55 since I valued it's lightness and
    needed it mainly for first cuts on sheet goods.
    I have since found that it is accurate enough for more than first cuts,
    and it's dust control is enticing to use more frequently.

My most appreciated Festool.

Good Luck
    John

I use my tracksaw almost exclusively for breaking down sheet goods. For that, like others have said, the 55 is quite sufficient power-wise and its nice & light.

hmm

I have the older bigger festool. I think its the 65
    I hear alot of people concerned about the weight but frankly its not really that heavy, and does its work gliding on a track.
    I bought the larger one for the increased depth of cut. I'm glad I did in my personal circumstance, others needs may vary.
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

I went with the 55 and couldn't been happier. There is only one time in a couple of years that I could have used the extra depth and that was just for a special cut when I was installing the shoulder vice on my bench. Otherwise, I very rarely use more than 3/4"-1" of depth. The lighter saw is easier to handle for me, too. That said, one should consider "what" they will be using the saw for and buy accordingly. Both size saws are great.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am in the same situation. I am leaning toward the 75 for straight line rips in hardwood as it would be my primary application. Currently I straight line rip with a jig on the tablesaw then I go to the jointer to finish the job.

The bigger the wood, the bigger the saw.

I have the TS55 and it's fine for what I use it for, which is mostly sizing plywood for cabinets.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clevenger View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up. Which one would you buy and why? I might make the trip today, but just can't decide which one.

Like everyone else; the 55 for breaking down sheet goods is great. But, I also do alot doors for older homes. The 55 is 'ok' for interior doors up to 1-3/8 thk, anything thicker and the 55 bogs down and struggles. Old growth doors in some of the 200 yr old houses I work in? The 55 struggles.

-Norm

Lately, I've been doing nothing but built-ins and book cases. I've had an EZ Smart system with a Porter Cable 325mag, and have been less than satisfied. I'm looking to sell of the EZ Smart parts, but I may keep the PC325.

One of my real complaints with EZ was the loss of depth of cut.

I'd like to be able to gang rip at least two sheets of 3/4" ply. Three sheets would be awesome, but not necessary.

If I got the ts75, could it replace my PC325 when it comes to framing and dimentional jobs; or would I find myself wishing I still had it at times. If I were to get the ts55, the PC would have to stay.

I have only tried it a couple of times, but cutting a 2x4 with the TS55 is harder than a regular worm drive/circular saw because of the plunge action. Maybe I dont have the correct technique down for cutting 2x material, but you cant hold the saw in one hand, the stud in the other and cut.

Neither saw is any good fro framing. They don't work well off the rail. Your PC is for that. I have the TS55. I would like to have a 75 because it would work well ripping a straight line on rough lumber. If you want to cut multiple sheets of ply, you want the 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clevenger View Post
    Lately, I've been doing nothing but built-ins and book cases. I've had an EZ Smart system with a Porter Cable 325mag, and have been less than satisfied. I'm looking to sell of the EZ Smart parts, but I may keep the PC325.

One of my real complaints with EZ was the loss of depth of cut.

I'd like to be able to gang rip at least two sheets of 3/4" ply. Three sheets would be awesome, but not necessary.

If I got the ts75, could it replace my PC325 when it comes to framing and dimentional jobs; or would I find myself wishing I still had it at times. If I were to get the ts55, the PC would have to stay.

You do not have to sell your EZ to get more depth of cut. For example a Makita 5008MGA will cost you about $200 and it is a nicer saw then the PC325MAG (I have both of them). The 5008MGA is an 8 1/4" saw that is about the same size and weight as a 7 1/4". You can use 7 1/4", 8 1/4", and 8 1/2" blades on it. This will give you the ability to use cheap blades (a $14 Freud 40 tooth 7 1/4" blade gives 1 5/8" depth on the rail) and also get a 2 1/4" cutting depth on the rail. With this setup you will have more power, locally available blades, can use cheap blades for mdf/partical board, and a thicker rail that does not flex.