Thread: Euro Hinges

Euro Hinges

What do you use to drill for euro hinges. Seems to be a very wide range of tools and machinery.

Dar

I use a jig on the drill press. I modified a spade bit, made it the right width and shortened the point on the grinder, and it works ok. One of those things you need at 10:00 Friday night, so you do what you have to, and it has stuck around. For the screws, I just use two drills during assembly, one to drill pilots, one to screw.

Certainly not elegant, but the whole process cost some scrap, a Desato clamp, and a $3 bit. The dedicated tooling for doing this is a whole lot more refined though, and if I where using these hinges everyday, I'd buy one of the machines.

Well I think we'll need more i9nfo on what your trying to do as there are alot of different ways to do any job.
    For instance, I've drilled for euro hinges on a job site with a hand drill motor. Also a drill press, router or a dedicated hinge drilling machine.

We can better answer when we know more about your situation.
    One time use, only a few or starting up a hinge drilling shop.

HTH
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Dar Lounsbury View Post
    What do you use to drill for euro hinges. Seems to be a very wide range of tools and machinery.

Dar

Since I don't do any kind of volume, I bought a good 35mm Forstner bit from Lee Valley and use that in a DP. I have a jig I made to quickly set up the fence for correct distance from the edge of the workpiece each and every time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Dar

I don't use any jig...the distance of the hole edge to the door edge should be 4~6 mm (5/32"~1/4").

I'm using 4mm (5/32") distance but if you want to be on the safe side, you can use 5mm (3/16")

As for the methods...small doors, I drill on the Drill Press...for big doors, that are difficult to hold with one hand, I use the Drill Stand.

Set the depth to 1/2" (minimum depth is 11mm -- 7/16") and go.

Regards
    niki
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the easiest way to go, but not the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar Lounsbury View Post

Dar
    Simply a drill press and 35 mm bit. Its just that simple
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

35mm Hinge Guide From Rockler

It's expensive but made my first try with Euro Hinges a simple task.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10871
    Easily adjusted, great clamping, speeds up production.

Hello,
    Drill press - aux table w/plenty of length on each side - fence - a simple plastic jig from HD ($11.00 comes with a 35mm Forstner bit, which is unfortunatly pretty bad) - Freud 35mm Forstner bit -and a simple jig ~ 8" long, made from scrap for setting the fence distance.

I bore a test hole into scrap to the desired depth, then lock that depth down on the DP. Then I raise the bit, slip the scrap jig under it and run it down. Now that the jig is captured by the bit in the jig, I set the fence distance - the 8" length is makes it easy to align both sides.

I lay out the hole placement with the little plastic HD jig marking the screw holes and the center of the hinge pocket. I drill the screw holes first. For that I simply remove power from the DP, run the Forstner bit down until the brad point hits the pencil mark for the screw hole, and turn the chuck by hand a few times.

Once the pilots for the screws are drilled, I go back and drill the pockets.
    For drilling the pockets, I toss a roll of 3/4" masking tape onto the door where I'm going to bore out the hole. when I bore out the pocket, I just hold the nozzle of the shop vac above the roll of tape & it sucks up 100% of the chips slick as a whistle.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon