Thread: Delta planer question?

Delta planer question?

Hi all

I am a nwewbie woodworker and have not got much in the way of machinery and am not looking for a full shop of machines, I prefer to use hand tools where I can. Material prep though seems somewhere that machines are definately the way to go.

I had not thought about buying a planer really but I have a chance at a brand new in box with warranty etc. Delta 22-580 planer for $299 Canadian. This seems on the face of it to be a good deal but I don't know the first thing about planers. I know that Deltas reputation is somewhat less than it has been in the past but in that price range the alternative would be a ryobi which looks like a much less substantial machine.

What do you guys think? I know the dewalt 735 is considered the class leader but I dont have that kind of wedge and doubt I could ever get it for one machine. Is this too good a deal to pass up?

Thanks
    Tom

I've been using a Delta 22-580 for almost two years. It's been a great little machine for me. I don't know if that price is good in Loonies. I would recommend finding the retail price for that machine in your area and comparing.

I think most people would agree the Delta 22-580 is a good lunchbox planer. Some people prefer the DeWalt lunchbox planer, but it's more expensive

Thanks Pat

Its on sale from $499 so it is a healthy discount, if I had been in the market for a planer I would have done my research and learned a bit about them. I usually succumb to analysis paralysis but I was out this morning and saw the last one in the store buried under a mountain of other stuff on sale.

I need to speak to LOML about the cash but its my birthday on Thursday so I'm sure I can work something out.

Thanks
    Tom

Tom, that should make a good planer for you.

The next item you'll probably want to start saving for is a jointer.......Regards, Rod.

Tom,

If you get the planer, be sure to put a good coat of wax on the sliding surfaces. It made my machine perform much better. I also set my infeed and outfeed table to be a "nickel" higher on the ends then in the center. This eliminated snipe in most cases.