Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netflix/Movie rental subscriptions/Woodworking?

The same as everyone else, I've had their Woodworking DVDs sitting in my Netflix queue for over a year with Availability date unknown. I'm sure I'll never see them.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

We seem to be a group of reasonable and trustworthy people...

Why not co-op?

I'll purchase the Mastering Woodworking Machines DVD on Amazon for $12.50. Everyone who wants to view it pays their fair share of the purchase price, plus media-mail shipping to get it to their home. Last person donates the DVD to the Creek (possible giveaway)? Then someone else buys another DVD of interest to them and we keep it going.

Or, six or seven of us each buy a different title, then swap until all of us have seen the titles we want to see. (Probably an easier solution). Last person sends the DVD to the Creek, for quite a nice DVD set giveaway.

Either way seems both fair and useful. Although having read them both again, I like the second option better. And it probably doesn't run afoul of copyright law.

PM me if you'd like to participate. It beats Netflix, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Norm it seems like they have a good selection but they seem a little pricey in regards to renting their movies, most are about ½ the price of new. It seems like you could buy them and have them for a while and just resell them when you’re done. But don’t get me wrong that’s just the kind of site/information I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look at it a little better.
    Richard
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

woodworking dvds

Try your local public library. It's easy to get the FWW series where I live.

Carlos
    (kinda new guy)

Movie Rental

Try Smartflix.com for the best how to DVD rental on a whole bunch of topics including woodworking.
    Regards
    Randy

Hey, that SmartFlix site has a pretty good selection if you click on the "Furniture Building" link. There are 56 videos in that section to include NYW titles and even one by David Marks!

True, but many of the videos can be purchased outright for less than the rental price...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Hey, that SmartFlix site has a pretty good selection if you click on the "Furniture Building" link. There are 56 videos in that section to include NYW titles and even one by David Marks!
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Y'all should visit your local library if you haven't done so in a while. In our neighborhood, they recently tore down the old one and put a new one up in its place. I was amazed: you can basically check-out, for free*, DVDs of all kinds, music CDs, and of course, books. My wife and kid now make weekend treks there.

*-nothing is ever free, of course, but as long as you turn them in on time, no fees, no DIRECT money out of your pocket....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    *-nothing is ever free, of course, but as long as you turn them in on time, no fees, no DIRECT money out of your pocket....
    True, as long as you don't figure your property tax is DIRECT out of pocket. So, not actually free, just included in the previously paid cost.

Eric your idea sounds pretty good but I think I am going to try the library rout. I know I have been scoring on a lot of great books lately from the library. If my branch does have them they get them on loan from other libraries from around the country. I can usually get just about anything I am looking for and I think I can get DVD’s as well..
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006