Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

3 Nov 2008

WOW!!! Is Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays getting here in a hurry! I guess the older I get the faster time flies by.

Well, I do have some good news to tell ya. I spent a LOT of time in the shop on Monday/Tuesday of last week!!!! It sure felt GOOD to be in the shop again and I should have the Walnut table top glued up today, the table skirt cut today, and the legs cut and glued up tomorrow. YEA!!!!
    Oh..I did deliver an end-grain cutting board to a guy at work that wanted one of my end-grain cutting boards.

Other than that, I'm still recovering from working 17 to 18 hour days on my work week last week (Wednesday through Saturday). I had to do a software upgrade on 152 Unix servers. This was by no means all of the servers I help support, but ones that control each specific environments data protection and recovery points. Needless to say that I'm "tired". Got done with the very last bit of work for the day job last night early and then I flopped in the bed. I just can't do long work days and weeks like I used to. I think age has something to do with it. Don't you?

Remember to Vote your heart and not your head this week!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Friday night and Saturday we baby sat little Riley our 27 month old great-granddaughter. It's a 2 person job.....at least at our age it is.

Saturday afternoon, my PM3520B began teaching me a lesson in template turning. I really didn't spend that much time turning but figuring out how to safely attach the wood to the lathe so that it could be safely turned without (1) coming off the lathe (2) without put my fingers and tools in extremely close quarters with the spinning jaws on my SN2 chuck. Managed to watch a few minutes of college football. I caught the last quarter of the Texas/Texas Tech game. Sorry Longhorn fans but that was one fantastic game!

Sunday, I watched a little Pro football, but I finally started making some of my template turning project. I talked with one of my DILs. I've taken on my first commissioned turning project as a favor for my youngest son's wife.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

starting to get into woodcarving. Had been fascinated by carving forever just didn't have any money to buy tools. After a year of saving I was able to get a basic set of Pfeil chisels and got the first project done this weekend, thanks to the able guidance of our own Mike Henderson. Here's what I did this weekend.

Sunday day trip to Petite Jean state park with family and some friends. Fall finally made it to our neck of the woods.
    Petite_Jean-Nov-08 024-SMC.jpg
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 11-03-2008 at 12:04 PM.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I hiked 4 miles on and went on a ghost tour in Gettysburg (which is 20 minutes away) on Sataurday.

On Sunday, I made a sliding 1/2" fingerjoint jig for my router table and quickly found out its time for a new 1/2" bit. Got a CMT on order from Amazon! I am making a chest of drawers and have spent more time making jigs than making the dresser!!!

-R

Zahid....I'm sure Mike is proud of your effort and you should be too! Very nicely done my friend!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Saturday, helped my mom make applesauce. Sunday, did some yard work including working on cutting some brush that is coming up in our back field. Then I worked on network issues on our home network since I had to readdress everything due to our new ISP. Didn't get anything done that I originally planned to.

Ripped out the carpet in the "Pink Room" remodel, started cleaning the floor for tiling. Bought and installed a light fixture, and fought with the wiring for 3-way switch for the light on the ceiling fan, and installed the fan. Worked some more on the floor. Burnished 2 of the 4 walls on the venetian plaster in the entry. Scattered in 2 visits for families looking for rescue dogs for good measure.
    We had our doubts after the 2 coats of the venetian plaster stuff. Very bland looking. Nothing like the samples. Then when I started the burnishing, it was like WOW!!! The only way I can describe it is taking a piece of nice wood, and start staining it. All the depth and color changes were amazing. But it is very labor intensive. In this entry that is 6 X 8, I'll probably have about 11 hours into it when all is said and done. But it is a nice look. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Good progess this weekend!!!!

Duck hunting early Sat morning - big bust. A little football Sat. afternoon, replaced light switch in kitchen, adjusted garage door, church Sat. night, then a little more football. Sunday, cleaned workshop, areated and fertilized the lawn. Sat down for a little more football, but no satellite signal - after trying this and that, appears I may severed the buried cable (1 of 2)with my lawn areator (not buried too deep?). So, scheduled a service call from DirecTV, then moved to the other TV that had signal. Later, started putting up Christmas lights; some didn't work, so abandoned that untill I can get new lights.

Survived Halloween (taking the girls to a safe neighborhood for that; no T&T at our house), my riding lesson and a bunch of home decoration tasks.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-03-2008 at 4:06 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally got around to veneering six door panels for an entertainment unit I'm building. Found some really nice Mahogany Crotch veneer at a supplier near here on Thursday and had them layed up by sunday afternoon. Spent Friday night chasing my dog away from the front door LOL.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Good weekend for me. Halloween is always fun with young kids. I wanna know at what point we lose excitement for free candy. The years up to that point are priceless

Friday afternoon started with a little tool gloat. I had decided after my last glue up that a biscuit jointer would really help on keeping boards from sliding during glue up. Well the blue borg had a Freud display model marked down. I took it up to the manager and he busted it down another 10%. Granted it isn't the best biscuit joiner on the market, but the price I got it for was less that the garbage ones they are selling over at HF. I used it a fair amount over the weekend and I gotta say I like the biscuits

Saturday was cleanup and a lumber run that killed the afternoon. Lumber run turned out to be gloat worthy. I got about 100BF of rough 2in poplar for under $100. Nice to find an independent sawyer. From the hardwood dealer I walked out with 3 boards of S2S 8/4 for about $140. So it felt good to be heading home with a truck load for less money than the previous 3 boards had cost me.

Sunday was a coffee fueled 14hr marathon day in the garage. I took the dining table from rough stock to glue up of the base.

I had a couple of break through moments in woodworking. While tapering the legs I couldn't help but smile as fluffy shavings flew out the mouth of my 80yr old smoother. Everything was really clicking for me. I adjusted my planer to level the cutterhead. Not only did I get it level, but reduced snipe to nearly undetectable. At the end of the day I was just kind of awe-struck at how all of my tools had worked in harmony to achieve a great finished product.

Finally, none of this really happened. No pictures I really just sat around, drank beer in my boxers, and posted on woodworking forums
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Got exterior window insulator kits installed on the three living room windows (so the cat doesn't puncture them... again).

Installed and tuned new knives in my new-to-me jointer. Flattens great, but I have a potential fence twist issue.

Still need to update my Dewalt Blog for this weekend but I did manage to get the carcasses for the three pieces I am building (play kithchen for my daughter) put together and got the face frames mounted. If you are a fan of my cabinet tutorial I could use your help when voting comes around in a few weeks. From left to right - Fridge (bottom freezer style), stove/oven/broiler, and a sink.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/top17/final...x?projectID=42
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 11-03-2008 at 5:39 PM.

Did trick or treating with the 4 year old on Friday on the base Im stationed at....great thing about the military; it seems every base Ive been at still does Halloween like I did when I was a kid, almost every house (in the Officer neighborhood ) was decorated and giving out candy (my baby even got candy from the General's wife ); Went to Tucson on Saturday and picked up a few board feet of Jatoba and Zebrawood that looked nice, for what project I havent figured out yet; then I finished forcing my new Jet Supersaw sliding table to fit on my Jet not-supersaw proshop on Sunday, then found out my baby had a fever and was getting sick, which led to 3 hours of sleep before work on Monday....yay another work week has begun.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

It was one of those weekends. Went duck hunting, expecting little, but the mallards had other ideas. Got home and figured I better clear a spot for the new saw, which evolved into better build some sort of organization so my usually understanding wife dosen't kill me when she stubs her toe on the pile-o-planes that looked like they may have to go to the living room floor. That evolved into, dang, not enough lumber, which turned into a muttering session about the price of lumber here. $3.49/bf for poplar???? Does that seem high to anyone else?

Then got a call that no one ever wants. An old friend lost two parents that morning in a horrible series of events. It was one of those moments where you try to offer all that you can to ease the pain, but know that it will hardly help. The times his mom catered our Husker parties where always something to look forward too. I'm glad to have known them.

Don't mean to be a downer here, but please don't take it all for granted.

Sunday I partially finished the temporary storage, built out of very cheap barn wood. I just finished it this evening, and although it looks awful, it'll work for a while.