Thread: Older ridgid TP 1300 vs newer one

Older ridgid TP 1300 vs newer one

I had a line on a Ridgid TP1300 planer yesterday and almost sealed the deal...except the motor was sparking. The Seller was quite apologetic and said he would get back to me once it is fixed. This might be a sign that it is really worn out, but it had a little rust on some bolts, so maybe it was improperly stored. The price if it was working was going to be about $220 USD. Anyway, I noticed this one is an Emmerson built one (Grey). The ones currently at Home Despot are Orange and made in China. They look flimsier and I can see they share many design elements with the much less expensive Ryobi unit sitting beside it. The Emmerson one is made in the US I think, and apparently has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if the old ones were better built than the new ones? I might keep looking for an old one in good shape if so. I don't want to spend $649 on a Dewalt or get a much bigger heavy duty planer as I don't have the room.
    Last edited by Bob Slater; 11-03-2008 at 5:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    I had a line on a Ridgid TP1300 planer yesterday and almost sealed the deal...except the motor was sparking. The Seller was quite apologetic and said he would get back to me once it is fixed. This might be a sign that it is really worn out, but it had a little rust on some bolts, so maybe it was improperly stored. The price if it was working was going to be about $220 USD. Anyway, I noticed this one is an Emmerson built one (Grey). The ones currently at Home Despot are Orange and made in China. They looks flimsier and I can see they share many design elements with the much less expensive Ryobi unit sitting beside it. The Emmerson one is made in the US I think, and apparently has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if the old ones were better built than the new ones? I might keep looking for an old one in good shape if so. I don't want to spend $649 on a Dewalt or get a much bigger heavy duty planer as I don't have the room.
    I have the new one (R4330?), and haven't used the TP1300. I bought mine new from HD last april for about $240 after tax (combination of sale at the time and using a HD card that my wife had bought for 70cents on the dollar).

I've had a bit of snipe with the R4330, but the actual surface has been very good. The chip collection isn't great--have heard the 1300 was better in this regard.

I haven't run it long enough to gauge the motor/drivetrain wear/tear, and don't have a point of reference to compare it to. Blade life depends heavily on what you're planing. If I'm using reclaimed wood, I normally give a quick cleanup with a junker hand plane before final surfacing in the planer. I can say that hitting a hard knot is not good for the blades.

Matt

Oh, I thought they kept the same model designation. You got a deal. As that planer is $499 Cdn at the moment.

I sold my 1300 and got the 4330 about 8 months ago.

I really don't see much difference in output, they both make a very smooth cut.

The difference is in the dust collector, the new one is not near as good as the 1300 was. The only other real difference is the old 1300 has a head lock and the new one does not, it really dose not need it the way it is design.

Bill, did you wear the 1300 out? How loud was it? If the blades are fresh and the motor refreshened, should it work as good as new, or are there other wear items? The one I looked at was quite loud before even putting some wood through it.

Bob,
    I have the made by Emerson manufactured Rigid 1300 TPLS. It's a good little machine, yes loud as all get out without any wood being planed..... with wood being planed it's deafening. All lunchbox planers are noise makers...nature of the beast per say. I've run a fair bit of material through it and the only thing I've had a hard time with is something over 10" in width, but then ya just need to take light passes. Sharp blades help as with about anything, sharp is better than not.
    But the finish is very good and there's nothing bad I can say about it other that it's LOUD, but that's what hearing protection is made for.
    There's little for "wear items" on them other than knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    Bill, did you wear the 1300 out? How loud was it? If the blades are fresh and the motor refreshened, should it work as good as new, or are there other wear items? The one I looked at was quite loud before even putting some wood through it.
    No, I didn't ware it out, I had someone that wanted it and I thought that the 3 knife unit would be better so I went with the new one.

Yes it is loud and they are all but its no louder then the new one.
    I would say that with the motor and blades it would be just as good as new.

I guess if I had it to do over I would have kept the 1300.

Well, if it is made in the States, then that is a big attraction for me, as I am trying my best to Buy stuff made on this Continent. (Albeit mostly used).

Bill, I know that this original conversation occured in 2009. I have a 1300 Planer and the bolts that hold the blades in are either corded or rusted in and the wrench that comes with the machine just slips when you try to loosen the blades. Have you any experience with this problem, or a suggestion as to how to change the blades?

Thanks,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Watters View Post
    Bill, I know that this original conversation occured in 2009. I have a 1300 Planer and the bolts that hold the blades in are either corded or rusted in and the wrench that comes with the machine just slips when you try to loosen the blades. Have you any experience with this problem, or a suggestion as to how to change the blades?

Thanks,

Gary
    I had that same problem at one time with one of the planners.

First the wrench that comes with the planner is junk and you need to get a good one.
    When I had the problem I ordered new screws first and waited until I had them before I went on with the job of getting the old ones out.
    After I got the new screws I sprayed the old ones with liquid wrench and let it set over night.
    Then with a good wrench I got some of the screws out but not all of them. I had to take a cold chisel on the edge of the head of the screw to get them to come out.
    Once I had all of them out and installed the new blades I put never seize on each of the new screws and that has worked very well over time.

Good luck.