Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest and last turning for a while.........

Latest and last turning for a while.........

Most of the people that have been here a while know what I do for a living. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62501 for those that don't) After 27 years it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I got hurt a while back. After two unsuccessful knee surgeries, I am having a total knee replacement on Tuesday. Coincidentally, one of the guys on my team had the same surgery about 4 weeks ago. So what the heck..... time to turn something for both of us. It was kind of weird turning a cane when I don't need one now, but will need one in the future. Hopefully I won't need it for very long though! See ya'll in a couple of weeks!

Jatoba with Jatoba handle - 37 3/8"
    Jatoba with Zebra wood handle - 36 1/2"

I ordered the kits from Craft Supplies, but they basically were a waste of money. The parts are nice, but make for a very thin cane and seem kind of wimpy. I did use one piece of the kit to attach the handles. You could easily do it with just a dowel or pin and epoxy though. I turned the handles using off-center technique and then hand-sanded the middle section. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking canes Robert! Hope your surgery goes well and you have a very short time until full recovery! Be thinking of you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Heal quickly.

A friend on my wife's wants me to make her a cane. Any advice? Did you having any vibration or whipping problems with such a long thin piece?

Yours looks nice. I think I might go with a simple knob on top. Did you consider that or did you think it would not be supportive enough.

Toney

Here's hoping you heal completely in record time!

I'll be thinking of you my friend!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had my right knee done 1 year and about a week ago. I spent 3 days in the hospital and was walking and climbing stairs on my 4th day in rehab. Just do all the exercises and physical therapy and stay ahead of the pain. The cane I got was of steel tubing which I used for only 2 weeks. Nowadays I'm still in a exercise program and walk a bout a mile every day. Absolutely no problems in the shop. Best of luck!
    Joel Shapiro

Good Luck Robert - My MIL had both knees replaced last year (8 months apart) and she is doing very well. She turns 79 next month.

good luck with your surgery and to a fast recovery

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Those are some nice cane's, just how you don't have to use them for any long period of time. Again best of luck.

Canes and good luck

Robert, I wish you fast recovery and the ability to run like the wind after your knee surgery! I have been collecting small trees and branches that have a natural curve in them for the handle to make canes. I think I have about 100 now but never seem to come up with the time or energy to get them made into something usable or saleable. I will take a picture of some and post it to show you what I mean. Yours are very sleek and nice, mine would all be hand work as I don't think I could mount them between centers very well! Good luck and have a great day!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nice looking canes. Your timing was perfect in posting the photos. My mother just asked me to make her one and I had looked at that same kit. I like the handles you did. I will probably borrow your idea.

Good luck on your surgery.

Smile

Awesome!! Thanks for taking the time to make one for me as well I know you have been busy

Very nice canes, Robert!

My mom has had both knees done (one twice) and yes, a cane comes in handy on occasion, but I suspect she's got a few years on you! Hopefully, your need will be short but the pleasure of using that beautiful hand-made cane will make up for the, well...use of the cane!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good luck Robert!

You can spend some time planning what to make next.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Good luck with the surgery, Robert. You know what to do. Do the rehab. You'll come throught it fine.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Great looking canes. Hope your surgery goes well and you heal fast. Hope to see ya back soon.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.