Thread: 1000 buck lathe - your advise

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.

1000 buck lathe - your advise

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a lathe and has a budget of around 2000-2500 USD. Problem is he is overseas and delivery plus taxes carve this sum back down to 1000-1200 USD. At that price I offered him to checkout the Jet 1442, and perhaps contemplate looking for a second hand 1642, though exporting from a craigslist source might get tricky.
    I cant see many other options. What would you recommend for such a case?
    Thx

What does "overseas" mean? Is he somewhere that he can purchase a lathe on the local economy, and save on the shipping?
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Norm - we also have members from all over the world! Should be able to find one close to him that you can PM and find out what his options are.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve (X2),
    Hes in Israel. His options are buying an imported lathe (in which case the importers add another 15-20% to the US price), or importing himself - new or perhaps 2nd hand. There is no local production. Current is 220V. Local availability of 2nd hand is occasional, and usually chinese lathes selling for 200-350 usd. This means import from the UK or US is probably his best chance. What models would you recommend in this bracket?
    Thanks.

My suggestion would be a NOVA 1624-44. I bought one last spring, and I love it. Unfortunately, Woodcraft's sale ended Friday, or you could have had it for $849.99.

Dan

Norm - I know the Jet 1440 can be wired for 200V but I am not sure about the Nova 1624-44. If it can run on 220 - then it would be a toss up for either lathe.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Norm,

Check the classified ads on Woodcentral.com. Someone there is parting with his Woodfast shortbed lathe for $1,500 with chucks and other extras included. The lathe has been upgraded with electronic variable speed control and has, IIRC, a 20" swing. I don't know the person selling the lathe, but I do know Woodfast made a very nice lathe.

One important detail is that Israel has 50 hz power.

You won't be able to use an American lathe there unless you change the motor, starter etc.

A british lathe would be a good choice since they also are 220V 50Hz.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I do know Woodfast made a very nice lathe.
    Is that one made in Australia? I think that may have been the one in the class that I learned on. It was a nice machine. Of course, I do not know that much about lathes only having worked on a couple of them so far.

jim

Norm, he could contact Eli Avisera who is a woodturner lives in Israel. Eli might be know of someone who has a lathe to sell. Depending on your friends turning skill if he needs instruction Eli is a very good instructor and a great turner.

Hope this helps.

Marty

http://www.avisera.co.il/Content/MyTools.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is that one made in Australia? I think that may have been the one in the class that I learned on. It was a nice machine. Of course, I do not know that much about lathes only having worked on a couple of them so far.

jim
    Yes, Woodfast was made in Australia and was imported into the US by Craft Supplies USA. Until Woodfast discontinued production in 2002 (?), Woodfast was the primary lathe used in Craft Supplies' classroom.

12. Hi Norm
    Its a long shot but when I was looking around for info on a jet 1642 I came across this video on youtube http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIQCnhrgIQ
    Moshe is a really nice guy and lives (I think) in Israel who might be able to suggest something for your friend ?. The youtube audio is in Hebrew but its all about taking delivery of his new Jet lathe and I emailed him a couple of times and found him very helpful, like I say worth a shot ??.
    Good luck
    Steve

Thanks all for the kind suggestions!