Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Wood?

My favorite is probably Pacific Madrone. Wonderful color, always in the pinkish range to purple, black, maroon, and browns as well. Most difficult wood to dry that I have run across because of extreme wood movement. Wonderful smooth even grain.

Mountain Mahogany is another, very hard (18 on the Janka scale, lignum is 20, bubinga is 12), lovely reddish brown color, and the only green wood that I have turned where I needed a dust mask.

Also any fruit wood, apple, cherry, pear, plum, haven't gotten any peach yet.

Dog wood is another favorite, wonderful grain, and colors can be great. Osage is great, and black locust, and honey locust. Walnut, both English and Black, butternut as well. Haven't done to many exotics, but have some lignum, pink ivory, and cocobolo waiting. Myrtle is nice as well. I have only had a few pieces of sugar maple, and loved it but we don't get much of it here. Silver maple is nice, but tends to be kind of stringy. A 30 year old tree here is 30 inches in diameter. Chinkapin (golden chesnut) is wonder for its smell. I am sure there are others, but I get lost some times. Too many to choose from, and so little time.

robo hippy

I don't like Cottenwood, too stinky, and palm, too stringy.

Having turned a relatively few species (compared to others here), my favorite is the next new one (to me) until it proves itself otherwise.
    Richard in Wimberley

Cherry, spalted maple and dry elm. The wet elm is pretty smelly...Bill...

Blog Entries
    I've been loving my Spalted Maple. But I also enjoy Cherry and Walnut. Although Walnut is hard to photograph at times. I think in person it has great character.
    Have a Nice Day!

Cherry, Walnut, Maple are my favorites, but also like hickory, sycamore, chestnut oak, mulberry, and osage orange (which happens to be every wood that I have turned so far). I have a lot of cherry that I would like to trade someone for some mesquite. Any takers?
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

osage, cuts clean and consistent. or apple.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

You can't beat the smell of Olive in the morning!
    Joe

IMHO- hard maple is hard to beat
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

I haven't turned many kinds of wood, but apple is my favorite.
    It smells nice, turns well, and is pretty too. Honeylocust is my second favorite. It machines well, although it dulls the tools fast. And the smell is good, but I'm mildly allergic to the dust.

Lux
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I've worked with over sixty species of wood over the years. My favorite for turning hands down is African blackwood. I also like turning desert ironwood, cocobolo, amboyna burl, Brazilian kingwood, Australian blackwood, thuya burl and bocote.

Apple...it smells like apple cider as you turn and it cuts like no other wood I've turned. I wish it didn't move so much, otherwise it would be perfect!

I'd agree, first choice is free wood that is also good - Mesquite for this area is plentiful and a great, stable wood to turn; the color is pretty and I like pretty much everything about it.

Jude

Myrtlewood and Cherry; Koa kinda fun also.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Someone gave me a few sycamore logs last month and they turned real nice. I like Cherry and Maple too. I got a 40' long 2' wide Walnut butt two weekends ago, so that's what I like now! I do not like turning Ash or Hickory.

Are you asking about the actual turning process or the results?

Actual turning - wet fruitwoods: pear, cherry, plum etc. Catalpa smells like cotton candy when turned. Turning dry osage orange wasn't all that fun.

For looks, I have to admit to having a jones for quilted maple. I just love the figure. Also like cherry a whole lot.

Exotics - I've enjoyed turning african blackwood, amboyna burl, olive and bloodwood.
    Where did I put that tape measure...