Thread: Shop Fox Moulder Variable Speed Kit Installation

Shop Fox Moulder Variable Speed Kit Installation

I am trying to install the D3701 Variable Speed Feed Conversion Unit onto my Shop Fox W1693 moulder. The D3701 instruction says to remove two sprockets along with two metal drive chains from the W1693's gear box, and re-used on the motor unit that's supplied with the D3701. The two sprockets are secured on the W1693 via hex-head set screws. The set screws are so tights on my unit that I can't get them off without risk of stripping. Instruction that came with the D3701 says to use a 2.5mm hex wrench. Parts list that came with the W1693 says the set screws are 10-24 x 1/4", which would mean I should use a 3/32" hex wrench. Neither wrench worked. I called Woodstock International tech support to ask about the conflicting information. The tech I spoke to wasn't able to help. He says I may have to order new spockets and drive chains if I can't get the existing ones off the W1693. I think it would be really unfair if I have to buy additional parts in order to get this conversion kit to work.

Has anyone on the forum actually installed this unit successfully? If yes, can you advice on how I can get these sprockets off.

Thanks much for anyone's help.

Pat I have already done this mod and captured the install in the thread below. You do not have to remove the sprockets and chains see the photo's it should clear it up for you. Just fish the chains of the sprockets when the housing is loose and then install the two chains over the new center sprocket and then fish them back over the two sprockets that you couldn't remove and bolt the housing back down. It worked great for me this way, once done you will love the VS.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73715

James,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit confused. The 2nd photo on posting #2 on your other thread shows the sprockets on the old drive. Looks like you've removed these to put on the new drive (as shown on the 4th photo of posting #2)? I can't get the sprockets off my old drive; the set screw on each of the sprockets is really tight. How did you get yours off? Also, do you recall what size hex wrench you used?
    Pat
    Last edited by Pat Moy; 11-05-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Pat,

Sorry for the confusion, I did remove the drive sprocket and place it on the new VS drive shaft. I am at work right now and cannot remember what size allen wrench I used, I know it is metric and I can see that I had two of them out. I will check when I get home and tell you which two they were. Also I do recall the set-screw on the drive sprocket was tight and I beleive I really had to crank down on it to pop it loose.

I was able to get one of the set screws off by hammering in a torx bit and cranking. Some dried-up adhesive came out with that set screw. Looks like they used something similar to locktite during installation. The torx-bit method didn't work with the other set screw; I had to drill that other one out. Remainder of installation was relatively seamless. I ruined 4 good hex wrenches trying to get these set screws out.

Pat,

I am glad to hear that you got them out, are you finished with the install already...........?

James,

Yes. I'm done. The rest of the installation was relatively easy. The only small problem was the rubber tip of the chain tensioner coming off a few times when I loosen tension.

Unit seems to work well. I tested it with the planning knives. Now I just have to get a few moulding knives; do you know of a good source?

I buy my knives from William & Hussey. There are some cheaper out there but I think the quality is worth a couple of extra bucks.