Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Layout Redux

Art,
    The stairs are able to be placed anywhere but I was getting greedy with floorspace so I wanted to tuck them into a corner. The living space above is for future possibilities. The original plan was a 48 x 24 building with the rear 12 feet walled off from the shop and dedicated to storage. That's how the stairs ended up there. I'll think about space usage before I nail them down.
    Thanx,
    Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Wolfe View Post
    After looking at my options and checkbook, it has been decided to alter the shop plans. Instead of a 24 x 48 pole barn, we're going to stick build a 32 x 40 barn/workshop. A net gain of 128 square feet in footprint but the new plan includes a loft above so the 300 sq. ft. or so originally slated for storage is now mine again. Look over the new layout and let me know what you think.
    Thanx,
    Jim
    I would be inclined to put the office and bathroom on the opposite side of the drawing such that they are under the loft floor. I would also move the lumber rack so that it was closer to the double door entrance for easy of unloading. Carrying lumber to the back of the shop and around obstacles would get old rather quickly.

Hopefully you can orient your building to get good daylight. If not consider adding some skylights or windows on the upper portion of your walls. The placement of your tools with evolve and change over time so don't sweat it. Dust collection runs also need to be considered too.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers

Brian

Details

Let me address a couple of more suggestions:

• The location of the wood rack was intentional. The bi-fold doors and empty space in front of the tablesaw will allow me to back my pickup into the shop area. If I move the saw using a mobile base, I can get all the way inside and close the doors making it real easy to unload.
    • My work flow seems to mostly be to take wood from the rack, cut to rough length at the mitersaw, move to the planer or jointer, on to the workbench for layout, etc.
    • the original plans had a loft over the rear half or the shop. This plan has a complete second floor so the office/bathroom are "under roof".
    • The workbench drawing represents what I currently have and won't stay against a wall. I like 4 side access to the workbench so it will end up out on the floor.
    • The tablesaw, workbench, assembly table, outfeed table and all counters will be the same height so I can use any combination for whatever the situation calls for.

I'm loving all the input and the thought that you guys are putting into this. I appreciate all the suggestions.
    Thanx,
    Jim

photos for a few more ideas

Jim,

Congrats on your new large shop. Since everyone is providing lots of ideas for you think about, here is a link to provide a few more thoughts.
    I was lucky enough to do something like you are about to do 10 years ago. Finally having a large shop is wonderful after years of having everything all cramped together.

By the way, planning your dream shop is almost as much fun as having it, so enjoy this time to the max!!

Tom

I, too, would consider putting the lumber storage area closer to the door. Of course, that might require flipping your floor plan, as your table saw, chop saw, and band saw are now conveniently placed and oriented with respect to the wood storage.

My lumber storage is immediately inside the door, but my sheet good storage is at the back of the shop. It's a real pain sometimes to maneuver full sheets around work-in-progress staged between the door and the lumber storage.

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Wolfe View Post
    After looking at my options and checkbook...
    It's amazing how that happens.

Your new plan looks good. I understand your placement of the wood rack. For my new shop/garage I've decided to do the same thing. My longest uninterrupted wall is across the shop from the garage door, but I plan on backing my van into the shop to unload when necessary. My plywood storage, however, will be just inside the garage door.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

It's a moot point.

After getting some bids from a couple of contractors, wood storage isn't going to be a problem. I won't be able to afford any! ; )

Jim