Thread: HVLP spray gun purchase from different Mfg

HVLP spray gun purchase from different Mfg

Hi all,

Quick question, let say I buy a HVLP system some fuji or apollo or any other vendor.
    If I wated to use a different spray gun, do I have to go the the HVLP manufacturer, or can I buy the spray gun from a different manufacturer?
    If I can buy from a diff mfg, what do I need to pay attention to so that I buy a compatible spray gun?

Thanks

Try:

www.homesteadfinishing.com

Check the forums there

Dustin

3. My understanding is any turbine gun will work with any other system....they all pretty much use the same motor/blower units anyway.

as long as the fittings are the same size, you're OK.

Thanks Dustin, Stephen.

I am surprise that more people have not commented on this question.
    The reason I ask is because as I read the specifications of the HVLP's. I notice that some are 2 stages going to say 4psi, other have 3 stages going to say 5-6psi, some go to 4 stages and run at 6-8psi.
    All that preasure needs to mean something when purchasing a third party gun.

Another observation was, I was looking at guns for use with compressors, some have 12 psi, and more. however you need to be able to have a big compressor 60-80galon.
    For example this is what it said for a particular gun:
    Required pressure: 50 PSI; Average air consumption: 11.5 CFM; - this was for compressor assisted gun

So I figure if there veriants using a compressor, would this also apply to a turbine?

Many of us use HVLP conversion guns rather than turbines, so that may account for the low number of responses.

That said, you absolutely should consider the specifications of the turbine when matching to a gun as you bring up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

6. In the case of turbines, you'll see a manufacturer make 2,3,4,or 5 stage blowers, but sell the same gun with all the packages. Turbine guns rely on airflow (cfm - a good turbine will blow well over 100 cfm), where as a compressed air system will rely on pressure and airflow (more so for old conventional guns - conversion guns use baffles etc in the gun body to step the pressure down at the tip). A typical turbine unit may only produce 4-6psi, but the guns are designed to use airflow to atomize, and you will often see turbine guns using a pressure feed delivery system to assist with material flow etc. The fewer stages the turbine has, the thinner your material needs to be as the pressure is reduced.

And Becker is right: most of the member here are compressor guys - I'm one of few turbine junkies here....

Write back if you need more info!

Jim, Stephen.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate you taking some time to set me in the right direction.

I just purchase the fuji mini-mite 4 stage turbine HVLP and it comes whith its own gun. I look forward to using this equipemnt soon. I hope this is a step up from my old HF hvlp which was only 2 stage.

again, thanks all.

8. you won't believe the difference! the Fuji is a very good gun in its own right, and their motors/components are top quality and built for hi volume use.

and the bump from 2 to 4 stages will be very noticeable....