Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathroon Vanity Countertop Question

Rich, air dried walnut turns lighter to a rich, golden brown with time and UV exposure, so while it may be initially dark, it will be surprisingly lighter in color later on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2. We used laminate for our counter tops (Formica 7335-58 - "New Leaves"), but I built some wood corner shelves for our master shower with redwood I recycled from an old deck. I applied three coats of a gloss spar urethane. (Spar is frequently used on boats and is supposed to flex more with wood expansion than regular poly. Don't know if that's true or not).

Anyway, they've been in use over four years with frequent water exposure, wet shampoo bottles sitting on them, etc. and we haven't seen any signs of deterioration. Unless you really slop water around, I would think a countertop would see even less water, and hold up better.

Anthony

just like last week on DIY station they had a guy that put Teak counter tops in.. they looked GREAT.. they just used like a marine grade varnish and epoxy's to glue it up. If i remember correctly they paid something like 2200 for the top (double sink vanity) I plan on doing a teak top aswell as soon as i get a chance to redo my bathrooms. wood

and in my mothers 1/2 bath the bath that is used about 95% of the time. has a red oak top my grandpa built in 94' that still looks great. and knowing my grandpa it prolly has about 3 coats of normal minwax varnish and glued with plan ole elmers glue.

I feel that solid surface/granite tops a WAY to common now that they dont stand out anymore.. every house i see has granite now.. I have only seen 1 house (my mothers) that has wood and it really looks nice.

JT